Setting up first tank... Any advice?

GaJeep94YJ;982520 wrote: I have a jaebo dc1200 but will be running it on the lowest setting. Which based on head pressure would be around 450 gph.

Based on that should I go with more course sand? If so what do you suggest. Only going with a 1" sand bed based on the above link.

Did you get another or did you mean the dc6000 pump?
6000 if it the same 450-1350 gph at zero head.

Still got the same one I got from you.

I ran it wide open and the overflow was able to handle the full flow.

Also I was going to get it from amazon because I have a bunch of gift cards there.... :)

Gift cards are the deal, rock before sand so it's stabile, saltwater and let it cycle.
I've got some micro algae for you when you get around to the fuge.

GaJeep94YJ;982962 wrote: This, I am buying this:
CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand, 20-Pound https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DH0YO/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_y77bub10EBCM6">https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DH0YO/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_y77bub10EBCM6</a>

Is this the right stuff?[/QUOTE]

it's not the same, but I'm pretty sure that one just has bacteria and the other doesn't.
Just checked and they're both rated 1.0-2mm "special grade"

So go ahead! That's good

Update: Wahoo!

We have a fish tank! Had a small set back and didn't get to work on the tank for a while, bit Tuesday I got the rock. And Wednesday after the boys got out of school we got water and sand.

Set everything up and it has been running since. Found out the heater was bad and stayed on all the time so the next morning it was bath water warm.

Oh yea we also picked up a hermit crab when we got the water. The three year old has named him "crabby crab " :)

He survived the bath water and now the water is starting the clear up from all the sand.

Had a little rock and sand left over to start the refuge.

I have an stock type heater (not sure what you call it) and this one is working. I need to go get a thermometer and see what it is set to.

What is the ideal temp? 75-78?

On a side note, I added up all the costs I am at $393 including crabby crab.

that temp range is good, as long as it stays stable once you get it set.
for a diy tank build, you did well on price.
walmart has those $2.00 glass tube thermometer that will get you close for now.

So I figure this is a good place as any to list my latest newbie mistake. This way you have some reference!

Since the tank is so tall I wanted to put a power head on There to get some things moving.

Found what I thought was a good one and ordered it. Jvp201. Figured if one had was good two would be better...guess again!

This thing is HUGE. About the e times the physical size I would need got a tank my size. Shoot it's as big as my rocks.

Never even bothered putting it in. Quite obvious when I unboxed it.

So what's the smallest power head they make? And where can I trade this one for it ;-)

here's my 2cents man,

1st: Reef tanking is a learned hobby. It isn't something you can "buy". A skilled reef aquarist with a green thumb is rare, but you'll get there! Before long it will seem less like hit and miss and more like a natural ability :)

2nd: Read stuff thats over your head.(no offense). I may be on the slow side of humanity, but I read reef articles that are over my head... A decent starting place is to find "Coral Magazine". You'll be surprised how quickly you start speaking the language. Even if you don't understand 3/4 of the 12 page article you just read... go for it anyway. Become a brainiac of reefing.

3rd: Don't be afraid to think on your own. Although there are parameters and guidelines to adhere to, there isn't really a set way to do things. The hobby is VERY new, and no one knows everything. Believing there is only one way to have a reef tank is like believing there is only one way to rear children. 1 + 1 doesn't always yield 2 in the real world. Do what works for you.

4th: It doesn't seem like a lot of fun.. but think of yourself as a "water keeper". If you keep your water correctly all the other stuff will find a way to thrive in the environment. Thats what the successful keepers do.... keep water.

Hope my shallow 2 cents of advice helps you out. I'm in the Rome area. Let me know if I can ever help.

B

SnowManSnow;1003217 wrote: here's my 2cents man,

1st: Reef tanking is a learned hobby. It isn't something you can "buy". A skilled reef aquarist with a green thumb is rare, but you'll get there! Before long it will seem less like hit and miss and more like a natural ability :)

2nd: Read stuff thats over your head.(no offense). I may be on the slow side of humanity, but I read reef articles that are over my head... A decent starting place is to find "Coral Magazine". You'll be surprised how quickly you start speaking the language. Even if you don't understand 3/4 of the 12 page article you just read... go for it anyway. Become a brainiac of reefing.

3rd: Don't be afraid to think on your own. Although there are parameters and guidelines to adhere to, there isn't really a set way to do things. The hobby is VERY new, and no one knows everything. Believing there is only one way to have a reef tank is like believing there is only one way to rear children. 1 + 1 doesn't always yield 2 in the real world. Do what works for you.

4th: It doesn't seem like a lot of fun.. but think of yourself as a "water keeper". If you keep your water correctly all the other stuff will find a way to thrive in the environment. Thats what the successful keepers do.... keep water.

Hope my shallow 2 cents of advice helps you out. I'm in the Rome area. Let me know if I can ever help.

B

All of this is great advice, +1 on reading coral magazine, its a great way to learn new things check it out at pure reef.

Going back to your previous question, check out the tunze nano powerheads or the jabeo wp10? I think it's called.

From what I know yes
Check on bulk reef supply, I think they have all the specs for the different pumps

a jeabo wp10 should fit the bill nicely, they can be had for ~40 on amazon. I had one in my 20, and it is now in my 34.

Back