Setting up old JBJ Nano - Advice?

jmorgan315

Supporting
Reaction score
Been out of the hobby for a few years and getting back into it now. Before buying a whole new setup, I’m pulling out my old JBJ 24g nano to start. I’ve done plenty of sw tanks( full size and nano) but this will be my first nano reef.

Any advice on mods to the existing tank?

Pic below of initial set up and scape (still a bit cloudy)
6bf85a7f89f9dcf94c1d7fd4db78bd16.jpg

Couple of things I’m considering:

1. remove existing built-on lid/light
- I have a cheaper LED fixture on the way
- any recommendations for screens/tops for a curved front? Not much out there pre-built for the curve.

2. Rework the built-in sump.
- I’m not going to add a separate sump but need advice on what I should include in the 2 chambers. By default it has sponge + carbon bag + ceramic rings + ceramic balls. I scrapped all that with the tear down and am starting fresh

3. Increase flow
- I’m upgrading the submersible return pump and have a Hydor Nano on the way

Any feedback or advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you buy the aluminum screen frame at Home Depot, you can measure the curve of the bow and create a template on a 2x4. Put screws in that line that you can bend the frame to form to that line. The corner connections will need to be heated to be able to make pliable enough to bend to the angle to connect straight pieces. There are you tube videos that show this.

If you buy the aluminum screen frame at Home Depot, you can measure the curve of the bow and create a template on a 2x4. Put screws in that line that you can bend the frame to form to that line. The corner connections will need to be heated to be able to make pliable enough to bend to the angle to connect straight pieces. There are you tube videos that show this.

Thanks. I was hoping there are other options out there besides doing the bending myself, but it may end up being the best option

Smart to remove top and add a better light. If you are planning on keeping this tank for a while, a more expensive solution to a screen is an acrylic screen. If you don’t want to diy it, you can usually order from a few vendors online. Expensive though.

You can also use the white light diffusers/eggcrate from home depot and easily cut it to fit. It does cut the light down some bit nothing that can't be compensated for. Get an IN TANK media basket for the middle chamber and run whatever media you want...I run filter floss/purigen/chemi pure elite. Jbj 28

20210213_102426.jpg

These are just my opinions, from someone who had a very successful low-maintenance one of these tanks.

Definitely remove the lid and add an a better light. You could get some window screen to put on top, but I personally wouldn’t waste my time, unless you have some expensive suicidal fish. For the back chamber, throw some carbon in a sac in there and be done. Sponges and rings are just going to harbor nitrates. Increase the circulation flow, not power per say. Increase in sturdy LPS (mushrooms, leathers) will do your tank good for controlling nitrates.

Some mods I attempted but were a waste. Adding a nano skimmer, adding an HOB skimmer.

I believe Joseayes had a pretty epic build of one of these tanks and put an overflow on.

You can also use the white light diffusers/eggcrate from home depot and easily cut it to fit. It does cut the light down some bit nothing that can't be compensated for. Get an IN TANK media basket for the middle chamber and run whatever media you want...I run filter floss/purigen/chemi pure elite. Jbj 28

View attachment 47458

Awesome, thanks. I’ve considered an in tank media basket so may have to take that advice.

These are just my opinions, from someone who had a very successful low-maintenance one of these tanks.

Definitely remove the lid and add an a better light. You could get some window screen to put on top, but I personally wouldn’t waste my time, unless you have some expensive suicidal fish. For the back chamber, throw some carbon in a sac in there and be done. Sponges and rings are just going to harbor nitrates. Increase the circulation flow, not power per say. Increase in sturdy LPS (mushrooms, leathers) will do your tank good for controlling nitrates.

Some mods I attempted but were a waste. Adding a nano skimmer, adding an HOB skimmer.

I believe Joseayes had a pretty epic build of one of these tanks and put an overflow on.

This is great feedback. Ive heard mixed feedback on a skimmer for a nano, but was leaning towards holding off.

I removed the lid and even decided to remove the rim as well. I’ll probably hold off on the screen per hour advice but worst case, I kept the rim in tact that I can use to mount a screen.

I’ll check out the build recommended.

This is great feedback. Ive heard mixed feedback on a skimmer for a nano, but was leaning towards holding off.

I removed the lid and even decided to remove the rim as well. I’ll probably hold off on the screen per hour advice but worst case, I kept the rim in tact that I can use to mount a screen.

I’ll check out the build recommended.

Just to add, the issue I had was that the water level drops in the back chamber (where you would likely put the skimmer) so you would need an auto top off running 24/7 to let the skimmer function properly.

Back