Share your thoughts on RTN

I have learned one thing in my short time in this hobby...and it was from a fellow army reefer...falisu. I went to pick up a brain and Red Chili coral from his house last month. His corals were beautiful, colorful, healthy and thiving quite well. I asked him what the heck he was doing as in addatives, water changes etc? And just said he just did water changes every few weeks, top'd off with kalk water and added a capful of Purple-Up every week. I thought that was too easy, how could just simple chemistry work? I then asked what he did for a living.......he answered "Chemist"! I am following his advice to the "t"!

He didn't have massive amounts of hard corals or SPS. I went to buy alot of his stuff and it looked great. But when my tank use to be stocked that way, i just added 2 cap of purple up every 2-3 days. Everything went well and purple up is simply grinded down calcium rocks (live rocks) it dissolve poorly in water but some of it do go in, and they also added iodine in there with some other "trace elements." Purple up is just calcium carbonate, it is 99% insoluable in pure 7.0pH water on it's surface. So if you increase the surface area by 10000X fold by grinding it down, it should do much better. I definitely suggest using two part solution wisely or just add purple up. fail proof if you don't have a seriously reefed out reef tank.

Back