Shock Buster GFCI issue

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
Is there anyone here that uses one of these? I have the 3 outlet one that I got at Home Depot. Plugged into it I have my DJ strip and my DC8 and everything works fine until I turn on my TV. Every time I turn the TV on it trips.

Weird thing is that once I reset it, I can turn the TV on and off and it doesnt trip. It only happens after the TV has been off for a long time.

Any advice?

Is the TV on any kind of powerstrip/multi-strip?

I THINK the nicer end powerstrips have some kind of noise reducing circuitry for the electronics plugged in tho them. They are the ones you see that advertise a garauntee to protect your electronics. I wonder if one of those would isolate that noise that the TV is putting in the line.

well, its actually on a Monster Strip along with my receiver and game systems. But its one of the cheaper ones. Not sure if it has the noise reduction you speak of.

a>

I dont know either, and I could be wrong. I was under the impression that the monster products were 'good' quality, so I would think you have it.

But it seems like your tV is creating an interference in the line somehow.

Are they on the same breaker? It would probably be tough to install , but a dedicated breaker for the fish tank might help.

Jorge let me relate an experience I had with a GFI outlet in a house I built.

Homeowner swore that the electrical was done wrong and that my electrician had put too many outlets on one circuit.

His vacuum cleaner would trip the GFI in the master bedroom which was fed from the master bath.

When the vacuum handle was lowered it would turn on the motor which started the brush.

The GFI saw this as a short and did what it was supposed to do however, if you left the handle in the down position and reset the gfi it wouldn't trip because all motots were starting at the same time.

I bet there is something in the TV that the GFI sees as a short. Doesn't mean it is shorted but maybe takes a second to warm up or gets juice a split second after everything else powers up.

I use the same cord you are using with no problems.

What channel are you trying to watch? might be related...

Sorry Jorge, couldn't resist :lol2: .

HAHAHAHAAHHA.

Probably the Food Network Fried Fish Night!

haninja;296480 wrote: What channel are you trying to watch? might be related...

Sorry Jorge, couldn't resist :lol2: .

LOL....nice Hanin.

And Loren....thanks for the story but uhh....how can I fix the issue....lol.

And yes, the TV and tank are on the same breaker. But if I remove the ShockBuster and plug the tank straight into the wall, the breaker does not trip. I am seriously considering ditching the shockbuster but being that I am in a rented apt, I really prefer not too have the fore hazard.

Get another surge protection, not GFI, strip and plug that into the wall first. Plug your TV into that strip and plug the GFI strip into that one with yhe rest of your things plugged into the GFI strip. This way the TV is before the GFI strip and should eleinamte the GFI tripping and still have your TV protected from surges.

well the TV is plugged into a power strip on a completely different outlet in the same room. So isnt that what your saying to do sort of?

What about plugging the Shock Buster into a powerstrip instead of into the wall.

I plugged my shock buster into the back of my battery backup.

I had something that would cause the gfi to trip it didnt trip after I plugged it in but I plugged it in to the surge side of the backup.

lol....im sure he felt wise.

I am going to try that battery backup thing. I wanted to get one and I have some Best BUy gift cards. First though I am going to try a regular power strip. ill keep you posted. thanks guys.

ok, i just tried plugging the shock buster into another powerstrip instead of directly into the wall and it still trips when turning on the TV. sucks.

Have you thought that maybe your Shock Buster GFCI is bad. Outlet GFCIs can go bad, so why not yours?

Buy another and test it. You can always return it it it doesn't solve your problem.

IME, when a GFCI starts to trip, and there hasn't been any major changes to the load on the system, like putting a chiller or another MH light or a high power stereo, vacuum, etc., first suspect is the GFCI itself.

I'm not an electrician, but I have been wiring GFCIs for my aquarium equipment for about 15 years.
Dave

your tv first turning on is just like a mh light first turning on. It will take a surge of power to get it started, then tapering off. Maybe the initial load is so great that it trips the gfci?

Acroholic;296945 wrote: Have you thought that maybe your Shock Buster GFCI is bad. Outlet GFCIs can go bad, so why not yours?

Buy another and test it. You can always return it it it doesn't solve your problem.

IME, when a GFCI starts to trip, and there hasn't been any major changes to the load on the system, like putting a chiller or another MH light or a high power stereo, vacuum, etc., first suspect is the GFCI itself.

I'm not an electrician, but I have been wiring GFCIs for my aquarium equipment for about 15 years.
Dave

Yeah I thought about doing that and probably will but I dont think its bad because its never been used until now. and it doesnt trip ever unless the tv turns on.

Im guessing that it has to do with simply having too much equipment plugged into it. I think it only handles 15amps.

On the DJ strip I have:
1 mag 12 return
1 skimmer pump
1 maxi jet 600
1 maxi jet 1200
1 UV lamp (9w)
1 Aqualifter
2 Vortech's MP40W

On the DC8 right now all I have is:
1 100w light
1 Sump fan (holmes fan)
2 200w heaters