Short intense photoperiod?

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
Ever hear of anyone running a standard lighting system / photoperiod but in the middle of the cycle throwing it into another gear for just an hour or so?

Just thinking out loud.
Any benefits to that at all?
Not sure I can think of any

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I would be fearful that it might do harm. Kind of heads in the wrong direction of stable parameters.

Human exercising has gone to this type of scenario; short fast burst of energy over short period followed by regular paced (heart rate); then short fast burst, followed by regular paced (heart rate). Repeat cycle. Not sure if your scenario listed above would be good or not. I'll leave it for the doctor's advice. Same with the new trend in human exercise; I'll leave it for the doctor's to respond.

Wannabee

Seems like Mike Palleta (spelling?) use to do this? Run leds but turn on halides for 2 hours at peak?
Can't find the reference though

dball711;1095961 wrote: I would be fearful that it might do harm. Kind of heads in the wrong direction of stable parameters.

That is a good point on the anti-stability

Lots of people do this. Run LEDs and then have MH or T5 turn on at peak for several hours.

Reefcharger;1095968 wrote: Lots of people do this. Run LEDs and then have MH or T5 turn on at peak for several hours.

+1

LEDs with 4 hours of t5 at peak.

If you don't have dimmable T5s, you could really try to get the best ramp up possible by dropping your LED intensity when the T5s come on, then raising the LEDs back up. And then raising them up again when the T5s come off. But IMO there's no needs.

No offense to anyone, but I'm not really as concerned with a ramp up. Dawn / dusk is for our viewing IMO.
I'm talking about a short hit only
Btw I think most people w LEDs do this because their corals aren't doing well and they are using the other light source to grow their corals

Odd enough I actually did this with part of the fixture I bought from you. I have 2 bulbs of the T5 (aquablue azure and special) that run for 3 hours a day to mimic mid day lighting. I will message you in a couple months and give an update.

Also thanks for the frame picture, I completely copied it hahahaha

All good.
If anyone else needs to figure a way to make a solution to hang radions and retrofit t5 message me;)

I went with an I formation, added the reflectors right before hanging them in the canopy. I used 1 piece of threaded rod on by ends of the I so I could have adjustment to get the radion to 9"

a>

SeanDorsey;1096645 wrote: I went with an I formation, added the reflectors right before hanging them in the canopy. I used 1 piece of threaded rod on by ends of the I so I could have adjustment to get the radion to 9"

http://tinypic.com/r/3329lk2/9">http://tinypic.com/r/3329lk2/9</a>[/QUOTE]

I had my radion non pros at 17 inches...I couldn't get good spread any lower . That's even w the 120 lenses

SnowManSnow;1095973 wrote: No offense to anyone, but I'm not really as concerned with a ramp up. Dawn / dusk is for our viewing IMO.
I'm talking about a short hit only
Btw I think most people w LEDs do this because their corals aren't doing well and they are using the other light source to grow their corals

after all this time and youre still hung up on this?step into 2016 B,LEDs are a viable source of light for corals,by now tried and true.my and countless others tanks are proof to that.you tried it for 3 1/2 minutes and made up your mind.this argument is no longer valid in todays time.

reeferman;1096752 wrote: after all this time and youre still hung up on this?step into 2016 B,LEDs are a viable source of light for corals,by now tried and true.my and countless others tanks are proof to that.you tried it for 3 1/2 minutes and made up your mind.this argument is no longer valid in todays time.

I don't doubt that leds can be viable. All I meant was that most people that add another light source to their primary led source do so because of some perceived deficiency. I wasn't saying led lights aren't viable.
The thing w leds right now is that it greatly depends on the operator, just as much as the fixture. If one is patient it can definitely work out no question.
I did only try led for a short while, only about 4 months, but I just felt more comfortable with what I know. Will I eventually be hip like all the cool kids? Probably;), but I just didn't have the energy to put into tuning my radions. I just wanted a plug and play light source. Just a nice little reef that I could enjoy while life calms down a bit. (For me that was just a simple t5 fixture)
To me, that's as viable as anything;)
By all means use leds:)
All good.

SnowManSnow;1096787 wrote: I don't doubt that leds can be viable. All I meant was that most people that add another light source to their primary led source do so because of some perceived deficiency. I wasn't saying led lights aren't viable.
The thing w leds right now is that it greatly depends on the operator, just as much as the fixture. If one is patient it can definitely work out no question.
I did only try led for a short while, only about 4 months, but I just felt more comfortable with what I know. Will I eventually be hip like all the cool kids? Probably;), but I just didn't have the energy to put into tuning my radions. I just wanted a plug and play light source. Just a nice little reef that I could enjoy while life calms down a bit. (For me that was just a simple t5 fixture)
To me, that's as viable as anything;)
By all means use leds:)
All good.

I'm with Reggie on leds, bottom line they work. And work well. However I'm with you on adding supplement light as most acros I've ever kept just look better with t5s or mh. Also one other thing I like about additional lighting with leds is to help with the shadowing. I'm with ya Brandon, stick with what ya know and are comfortable with your tank has spoken for itself.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

So in my reading, adjusting photo period length is useful to achieve the total daily par goal you're trying to achieve, however this must be done within limitations. The best photo period window seems to be between 12-15 hours, due to the fact the zooxanthellae have a reproductive cycle based off natural photo periods, and it can be disrupted.

I was just reading about this today

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/5/aafeature">http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/5/aafeature</a>

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

walterp1982;1097250 wrote: So in my reading, adjusting photo period length is useful to achieve the total daily par goal you're trying to achieve, however this must be done within limitations. The best photo period window seems to be between 12-15 hours, due to the fact the zooxanthellae have a reproductive cycle based off natural photo periods, and it can be disrupted.

I was just reading about this today

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/5/aafeature">http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/5/aafeature</a>

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

this is some great information from one of my favorite sources! I'll definitely be reading this today

Back