Shrimp dead upon water contact....

oz

Market
Reaction score
What would cause a cleaner shrimp to be fine during drip acclimation for over 30 mins then seconds after being placed into the tank, he's dead? I removed water from the acclimation bin several times to make sure after 30 mins, he would be in pretty much the same water as the tank. What the hell? :mad2:

I think the shrimp came out of a bag...hit the water and died....That would be a quick molt although possible I guess...I just trying to find a reason to disagree with you Linda ;)

Shrimp,startfish,and inverts in general need extra Acclimation time. I mean 30 minutes is pretty good,but I normally drip them for a couple hours. I will normally change out the water a few times during the acclimation. Not saying that is the direct cause but I couldnt Imagine any other reason. Did you check that your salinity in the acclimation bag/container was the same as your tank?

I wish. 4 cleaner shrimp, 1 fireshrimp, and a coral banded....all the same. You talk about an expensive dinner last night for the eel? wow. I don't know what happened.

salinity was higher in the bag than in my tank so i guess a longer period was in order? Expensive mistake.

My tank at the time was 1.020 or so while the bag was about 1.25 or 26. The only difference was that my PH was low.

ChrisOzment;132602 wrote: My tank at the time was 1.020 or so while the bag was about 1.25 or 26. The only difference was that my PH was low.
That is way off. That woudl kill shrimp. Why do you run your tank at 1.020? I would strongly suggest bummping it to 1.025 or 1.026.

tnyga;132593 wrote: I think the shrimp came out of a bag...hit the water and died....That would be a quick molt although possible I guess...I just trying to find a reason to disagree with you Linda ;)

Okay... I didn't realize Chris had actually seen the shrimp die.

I remember reading something recently here about molts taking place in transport and/or being triggered by stress of transport.
a> also mentions that a change of water params can trigger a molt.  If the shrimp was in the process of molting in transport and hid upon entering the aquarium, it could have shed the ectoskeleton rather quickly and I thought that might be what Chris was seeing.

Linda Lee;132604 wrote: Okay... I didn't realize Chris had actually seen the shrimp die.

I remember reading something recently here about molts taking place in transport and/or being triggered by stress of transport. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/cbsbeh.htm">Wet Web Media</a> also mentions that a change of water params can trigger a molt. If the shrimp was in the process of molting in transport and hid upon entering the aquarium, it could have shed the ectoskeleton rather quickly and I thought that might be what Chris was seeing.[/QUOTE]

Rapid changes in salinity can actaully cause mechanical damage to the living exoskeleton. I have seen shrimp burst at the seams from the osmotic difference- they are VERY sesnitive to it. It is certainly not a molt, because there is no replacement exoskeleton under it.

I was in the process of bringing the salinity back up slowly over a weeks time but in hindsight....with a couple hours of acclimation, it wouldn't have killed them. My inexperience and lack of patience is the cause I'm sure.

Linda Lee;132604 wrote: Okay... I didn't realize Chris had actually seen the shrimp die.

I remember reading something recently here about molts taking place in transport and/or being triggered by stress of transport. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/cbsbeh.htm">Wet Web Media</a> also mentions that a change of water params can trigger a molt. If the shrimp was in the process of molting in transport and hid upon entering the aquarium, it could have shed the ectoskeleton rather quickly and I thought that might be what Chris was seeing.[/QUOTE]

I didnt know that ...

ChrisOzment;132608 wrote: I was in the process of bringing the salinity back up slowly over a weeks time but in hindsight....with a couple hours of acclimation, it wouldn't have killed them. My inexperience and lack of patience is the cause I'm sure.

If the salinity in the bag was 1.026 and the tank was 1.020, that would kill them, trust me.

Im sorry for your loss Chris...for them and the money invested :(

****, should have thrown them in the QT tank. So for future knowledge, what's about the limit on salinity you'd try to acclimate to over a couple hours?

jmaneyapanda;132610 wrote: If the salinity in the bag was 1.026 and the tank was 1.020, that would kill them, trust me.

No doubt. Thats a HUGE change especially for Inverts. Sorry you had to learn the hard way Chris. :boo: That sucks.

ChrisOzment;132613 wrote: ****, should have thrown them in the QT tank. So for future knowledge, what's about the limit on salinity you'd try to acclimate to over a couple hours?

I acclimate until I am spot on with my refractometer. Not only salinity but also +/- 1 or 2 degree on Temp as well.

Sux more for my tangs that were looking forward to a little car wash action.

Next problem is Tim is out of cleaner shrimp now. Anyone know of another <$20 source for them?

Back