Shrimp questions

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
What type of shrimp does everyone keep in their tanks? I am interested in purchasing a cleaner shrimp, but am open to suggestions. My tanks both have wrasses in them, one with a six line, and the other with a yellow coris. Will the shrimp be ok with the wrasses or should I stay away from them? Does anyone keep multiple species of shrimp in their system? Thanks

I've got a cleaner shrimp, and just added 2 sexy anemone shrimp, the fish that they are with are: six line wrasse, lawnmower blenny, yellow tang, and a pair of clowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a coral banded and a handful of peppermint shrimp , I'm thinking about adding another coral banded or maybe some skunk cleaners , my wrasses leave everything alone but I did get rid of a larger wrasse a wile back that would eat every invert I put in the tank but he was big and greedy

ive got a scarlet skunk - he's a ton of fun to watch.

I've got several wrasse with no issues - mystery, leopard, yellow coris.

Cleaner shrimp and a larger coral banded. Use to have a fire shrimp but I sold it because I didn't see it out that much

I have a yellow coris wrasse, sixline, 2 anenome shrimp, harlequin, 2 cleaners, 3 pistols and several peppermint shrimp. Everyone gets along really well. :)

I've had many of the common ones at one point or another. Quick highlight reel based on experience from way too much reading or staring at them for longer than is necessarily healthy:

Free-roaming shrimp
<ul>
<li>Coral-banded - mean a$$ shrimp. Have never stocked one (had planned to before research) based on reputation alone and that every time I look at one in the store, it's tearing something apart that was housed with it.</li>
<li>Blue coral banded - just added, seems like it hides a lot. Very small & likely to stay that way.</li>
<li>Scarlet/"Blood" cleaner shrimp - really attractive, not as prone to stealing food from anemones/LPS, can be pretty reclusive & only seen at mealtimes</li>
<li>Skunk - very active, fears nothing for very long, very prone to stealing food from anything that can't hold onto it.</li>
<li>Peppermint - hides all the time, especially if one or more of the above are present. Be careful to get only ones that hail from the Caribbean (vertical & horizontal "dashed stripes" all along the body) as the Pacific-collected lookalikes (long horizontal stripes) may not be hardy in tropical reef temps. Both are likely enough to go after aiptasia, but if stocking a herd for ongoing control wouldn't you prefer the ones that are likely to live longer?</li>
</ul>

Symbiotic shrimp:
<ul>
<li>Spotted anemone shrimp (periclimenes yucatanicus) - will pick at rock flower anemones & make them go wandering/disappear under rock ledges. Also can be hosted in ricordea patches. Very active.</li>
<li>Venus anemone shrimp - sets up shop in rock flower anemones, will likely steal enough food from it to make it start to shrink unless you step up feeding a lot. Not very active.</li>
<li>"Sexy" shrimp - look really cool, especially if you have several anemones for them to switch between (maxi/mini or rock flower and get 5-7 shrimp. I have too many zoas present to want to risk it, though. But I've watched the little suckers for what feels like hours through the invert tank window, thinking "hmmmmm" often. ;)</li>
</ul>

BulkRate;1071628 wrote: I've had many of the common ones at one point or another. Quick highlight reel based on experience from way too much reading or staring at them for longer than is necessarily healthy:

Free-roaming shrimp
<ul>
<li>Coral-banded - mean a$$ shrimp. Have never stocked one (had planned to before research) based on reputation alone and that every time I look at one in the store, it's tearing something apart that was housed with it.</li>
<li>Blue coral banded - just added, seems like it hides a lot. Very small & likely to stay that way.</li>
<li>Scarlet/"Blood" cleaner shrimp - really attractive, not as prone to stealing food from anemones/LPS, can be pretty reclusive & only seen at mealtimes</li>
<li>Skunk - very active, fears nothing for very long, very prone to stealing food from anything that can't hold onto it.</li>
<li>Peppermint - hides all the time, especially if one or more of the above are present. Be careful to get only ones that hail from the Caribbean (vertical & horizontal "dashed stripes" all along the body) as the Pacific-collected lookalikes (long horizontal stripes) may not be hardy in tropical reef temps. Both are likely enough to go after aiptasia, but if stocking a herd for ongoing control wouldn't you prefer the ones that are likely to live longer?</li>
</ul>

Symbiotic shrimp:
<ul>
<li>Spotted anemone shrimp (periclimenes yucatanicus) - will pick at rock flower anemones & make them go wandering/disappear under rock ledges. Also can be hosted in ricordea patches. Very active.</li>
<li>Venus anemone shrimp - sets up shop in rock flower anemones, will likely steal enough food from it to make it start to shrink unless you step up feeding a lot. Not very active.</li>
<li>"Sexy" shrimp - look really cool, especially if you have several anemones for them to switch between (maxi/mini or rock flower and get 5-7 shrimp. I have too many zoas present to want to risk it, though. But I've watched the little suckers for what feels like hours through the invert tank window, thinking "hmmmmm" often. ;)</li>
</ul>

That's great information Jeremy!

Back