shrimp selection

cdub

Market
Reaction score
well i woke up today to find that one of my cleaner shrimp had made the mistake of walking into the opening of my 6'' derasa clam. needless to say he was still partly laying in it with a rather large dent in his body.

i still have one scarlet skunk cleaner left, but i was thinking about picking up a coral banded shrimp. does anyone have experience mixing the two?

cdub;83061 wrote: anyone....?
I have 1 of each, no problem. I even had the coral banded first. I have a 75 gallon tank, leaves good amount of room for each.

FutureInterest;83306 wrote: The CBS is known to sometimes eat other cleaners so take caution.

Yep, and that is why he is not in my main display tank. A little to aggressive towards my peppermint shrimp, he left the cleaner shrimps alone though. Although he might attack them eventually.

In a 95g tank, there should be plenty of room for the cleaner and coral banded to avoid each other. It's not overt predatory aggression, but territorial behavior on the part of the coral banded.

Unless, of course, the size difference is significant such as the coral banded being 2x the size of the cleaner. Then it might see the cleaner as food.

my cleaner is very large so hopefully i can get a smaller cbs

I have the two and no problems what so ever. Usually they hang out on opposite sides of the tank, but they do cross each other's paths.

My little CBS started off little and is big now... I saw him go after a good sized cleaner very recently and it wasn't territorial. I had great luck for many months but I wouldn't do it again. Plus the CBS is a hider during the day so you really don't get to see much of him anyway.

Back