sick clownfish

mvm

Market
Reaction score
My female onyx clown has stopped eating and is just hanging out in her nem. The male is fine and is still eating aggressively. I have had the female for 2 plus years. She does have some stringy feces. Internal parasite? I have made a few changes in the last few weeks. Changed out some live rock and changed from a large nem to a small one. I purchased the nem from Optimum and there was no clown hosting it. There have been no new additions in terms of fish, and all other inhabitants are active and eating. What should I do? I'd be really bummed if I lost this fish...

Isolate it if you can, watch it like a hawk untill you figure out exactly what the problem is and then try to treat...

I have the fish isolated. Any suggestions on what to treat with? Prazipro? There are no signs externally. breathing is a little labored and the fish has stringy feces. Thoughts?

Well if you have it isolated, and it doesnt seem like it is going to die right away, I would just feed it alot with food soaked in selcon and garlic. It has worked wonders for me.

Recently I had 2 sick clowns on seperate ocasions, one I treated with meds from petsmart (it was going to die at any moment), and the other I just fed heavily, and they both came out ok. (both in QT)

The fish I treated with petsmart meds had the same symptoms as yours stringy poo, and labored breathing, but mine also had sores on it.

I also had an outbreak of ich a few months back in my display, and just fed heavily turned down the flow and made the tank as relaxing as possible, and got it under control.

So basically if it doesnt look as if it is going to croak right away, I just say go slow and feed it, if not then you may need a diagnosis before treating. A pic would help, although I am by no means the person to diagnos a problem.

MvM;264414 wrote: I have the fish isolated. Any suggestions on what to treat with? Prazipro? There are no signs externally. breathing is a little labored and the fish has stringy feces. Thoughts?

I have found prazipro very useful and safe. However, I would doubt that this fish suddenly caught something that prazipro would be effective against, unless it ate something off the new rock. IMO, it wont hurt, just follow the direction.

Well, as I said, I did get a new nem. I guess it's possible that the nem carried something?? Who knows, but this is my favorite fish. Figures...

Really, in my mind, possible, but unlikely. Prazipro will treat for flukes and worms. I think it is a long shot, but I dont see it hurting.

Well, she was biting me as usual during a water change today, and came out and looked at the food during feeding, but didn't seem to eat. Hopefully she'll eat tomorrow. She's still fat and a little more active, despite not eating for a few days...

Yeah it is normal behavior for them to not eat while stressed and moved. Give her a few days.

Back