Sick Fish ?

engelphotos

Reaction score
I bought an entire system from a member. Currently have two of three fish in q.t. other fish have all passed away. The tank had ick. When we broke the tank down, we threw away all the sand. I have all the live rock in buckets. I'm going to treat the live rock? and then seppretaly get the live rock back in shape. As for the two fish left, they show no signs of ick but that doesn't mean anything. I would rather not treat with copper as it has some long term effects. What could i do to keep them in the best possible way. currently doing daily 25% water changes and feeding small amounts twice a day.

Fred

I've read about it but concerned about stress on the fish. currently theirs a wrasse and a snowflake clown. If their tank mates passed in the last 5-6 days and these fish are by all assumptions sick also would this put more stress on them. Considering their sick and stressed now. Would 25 % water changes be the least stressful way to continue their non-invasive treatment ?

Mix food with metro and focus and a little garlic. Feed little bits of that multiple times a day. It will boost the immune system.

Just curious what your parameters are at? Is it possible the fish died from other reasons than ich?

I bought the entire system from a member and he lost three fish before we tore down the system, I have the remaining fish in my Q.T., this is my first go at taking care of sick fish. Although they don't appear sick, coming from a sick tank i assume they must be.

Bcavalli;1037916 wrote: Just curious what your parameters are at? Is it possible the fish died from other reasons than ich?

This.

What caused the ich outbreak? Bad water or other stressors may be the problem and the ich was a symptom.

What are your QT parameters now?

Jenn

Jen,

from what i understand the ich was brought in from a new fish addition. After realizing what happened he put the fish in a qt tank for 30-45 days? bringing the fish back things went bad again. He lost three fish before i arrived. I have had the two fish in q.t. for a week now and have done three water changes and nothing else. q.t. is bare bottom and two plastic pvc elbows. Fish appear o.k. and don't have any spot's and are eating well. I have only checked ammonia and alkalinity. My plan would to leave them for 60 days. One question is after 60 days are they considered cured. The parasite is gone right?

So a little confused in reading several articles, does the fish have ich (parasite) dorment all the time and during a stressor the parasite becomes active? I've got 4 fish in my display tank. They have been their for 2 months now. Their fine and stress free since it's a 150 gallon tank and plenty off hiding places. The two in Q.T. have not showed any sign of disease. However they came from a tank that had ich. So with continued water changes every other day how long do they stay in q.t. and how long do i continue with the current water change frequency.

finnance;1112475 wrote: How it is possible the fish died foe ich? I don't think that it is the actual reason. May be you are not maintaining the water changes properly. The way of my thinking you should set up a canister filter now.

Why a canister filter?

Back