Sick Royal Gramma

stonyreef

Reaction score
My royal gramma isnt looking too good, he is swimming low to the sand and slightly sideways. He has been compulsively scratching against the sand and occaisionally the rocks for about 5 days . However, i have not seen any parasites or damage on his scales and he has been eating fine. Any thoughts as to what might be the cause?

a>

well today he is fine, but he does still keep compulsively scracting in the same place. Will ich cause irritation even with no visible signs of parasites?

stonyreef;189590 wrote: well today he is fine, but he does still keep compulsively scracting in the same place. Will ich cause irritation even with no visible signs of parasites?

yep...

andrew30101;189605 wrote: Yeah man, if he is scratching he almost definitely has ich. You may want to quarantine and treat him for it asap so your other fish have less of a chance of getting it.

Once one has it, you can be 99.99% sure that the others have it too...

I have a Royal Gramma that scratches. He has been doing that since I got him a several months ago. I thought something was wrong at first but nothing has ever shown up on this fish. He eats and has no signs of illness on him. If a fish has ich you see it. All other fish in my tank continue to be healthy.

parmoffitt;189639 wrote: If a fish has ich you see it.

IIRC Not necessarily true, it can be carried inside the gills and therefore is not visible.

Thank you Mysterybox for the info on Ick Treatments-I have put it in my favorates, so if (WHEN) I need it I will not go crazy trying to find the info (l also have a 20g set aside for use w/heater, sm pump and HOB filter).

a>

fish can also have other parasites than ich -- one guy said that he deworms every new fish that he gets -- he says that one in 6 poop out worms after being given the medicine in quarantine.

I would probably focus on ich for this guy, but it's something to keep in mind.

Back