significant loss overnight

Leslie;295299 wrote: That's a rock the goby loves to dig under and he's been knocking it over for several days. Don't know how that factors in to the equation. Largest maroon clown isn't looking happy at the moment. I just don't know what to do now.

Hopefully you have done a water change by now. If not I would def. do one!

I just keep learning.. unfortunately it's often the hard way. I've done a water change and will do another tomorrow and hopefully stem the flow. Thanks y'all for all your advice. Les

Leslie;295394 wrote: I just keep learning.. unfortunately it's often the hard way. I've done a water change and will do another tomorrow and hopefully stem the flow. Thanks y'all for all your advice. Les
Dont worry... That seems to be the only way I learn anything...

If it was due to die off then she should be seeing ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings...

I retested the watre this morning. Ammonia and Nitrate still 0. Nitrite .25. Do I add New Tank Stability or anything else to ease this? Do I relocate the fish/corals to a QT tank?

Could someone have used the scrub brush that was used on the rock for some other purpose? Was it left say in at the deep sink where it may have been contaminated. That may have introduced a poison to the tank. That almost happened to me with the brush I use to clean the skimmer. Luckily I realized it when it started bubbling soap! Now the brush lives under the tank where husbands can't accidentally get soap on it.
Sheryle

Sheryle, We keep that toothbrush with fish stuff so there isn't really any possibility of that. I tested water last night and this morning and it's 0's across the board for nitrite/nitrate/ammonia. The Xenia still looks horrible but we've had no more losses. Hope whatever it is is now out of its system.

Leslie;295613 wrote: I retested the watre this morning. Ammonia and Nitrate still 0. Nitrite .25. Do I add New Tank Stability or anything else to ease this? Do I relocate the fish/corals to a QT tank?

Don't relocate the fish/corals unless it appears they are getting worse. No need to stress em out further. The nitrite reading is indicative of a die-off. Odd that your ammonia test didn't show anything previously... as it probably should have.

I don't think it'll hurt to add some stability but more importantly as others have suggested keep up the water changes and you should be in good shape shortly.

g'luck.

As a follow up, all is well. The xenia is coming back and we've had no further losses. And I learned something.

Back