Silence! !

tshives26

Market
Reaction score
So I have read numerous different routes people take to silence their hang on overflow boxes. I have an ESHOPPS PF- 300. What's your take on the best way to quiet this? The only part making a sound is the water running down the black box inside the tank.

Just keep in mind that if you put something in there or modify it and it stops draining the tank at the rate of the return you will overflow the tank.

I don't trust hang on overflows.

JDavid;949961 wrote:
I don't trust hang on overflows.

I used one on my old 15gallon. Hated it so much... But I would just leave it alone. Have you ever thought about drilling your tank? It makes things easier unless the tank is already filled up.

I would have liked to drill it, but I didn't know if the glass was tempered or not and yes the tank is filed now.

If you can get a hold of some polarized lens aka 3D movie theater glasses and look at the tank with them well... It will look like their are a lot of black lines going through the tank

I have some ^^^ if your interested! You could put your existing tank contents into a brute or Rubbermaid container, drill the tank, hook up sump...

Eventually most people end up with a sump for many reasons.
Holding area for your equipment, additional water volume, fuge....

tshives26;950086 wrote: I have a sump already, that isn't an issue at all. Just drilling the glass is

You can drill the tank and install an overflow yourself, or you could swap the tank for one that's already drilled. I'd probably do the latter.

The tank itself is actually one of the cheapest parts of the hobby, it's a one time expense. Even if it's a few hundred bucks, less if you buy one used, you'll probably be dumping thousands into the hobby in only a couple years. If I ha believed that to be true when I got in the hobby, I would have said that's simply not an option, I don't have that kind of money, doing this on a budget. Lol.

Just thought I'd add that polarized sunglasses can usually be found in Walmart for $5 with the fishing gear

thefishbuddy;950106 wrote: Take a piece of airline and put in it.let it draw air from it and it will get a lot quieter.

Could you elaborate a little more please? I'm slightly confused on what you are trying to explain.

I used to use one of these back when I had HOB overflows. Once I got it tuned in it worked great.

a>

chefrepo;950159 wrote: I used to use one of these back when I had HOB overflows. Once I got it tuned in it worked great.

http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/">http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/</a>[/QUOTE]

Did you ever have an issue with the flow? Like did it ever get caught up or anything?

Thats what i was talking about putting the airline in the return line where it takes in its air to drain and let it pull in air from the airline.

Not that I remember. I was more worried about a power outage, losing the siphon into the overflow, and the tank overflowing when the return kicked back on.

chefrepo;950191 wrote: Not that I remember. I was more worried about a power outage, losing the siphon into the overflow, and the tank overflowing when the return kicked back on.

It should</em> start back automatically, most of them do. Would be easy enough to test

My overflow does not start back up the way it currently is. You need to prime it again once it stops. Does this fancy contraption we are talking about start up again?

No. It's only to make it quiet. I have heard of ways to rig up an aqualifter to it to get the siphon to restart but I wound up drilling before really researching that.

Back