Silicone Removal

liverock27

Market
Reaction score
Is there anything out there that will remove silicone other than a razor blade from glass? I need to remove my overflow box that I siliconed into place. Thanks.

I smashed mine with a hammer, which made it alot easier to work with, once the pieces are loose you can wrench them back and forth and along with a razor it should be easier.

jade76;178998 wrote: have you tried a heat gun?

AHHHHH! NEVER use a heat gun!!! It sounds great in theory, but it WILL break your tank. It will heat up the glass so quickly that you don't even realize it.

How do I know? I've done it :doh:

Skriz;179041 wrote: AHHHHH! NEVER use a heat gun!!! It sounds great in theory, but it WILL break your tank. It will heat up the glass so quickly that you don't even realize it.

How do I know? I've done it :doh:
oooohhhh....well. thanks for catching that raj. Thats good sound experience.

airplane fuel eats silicon, a little trick i learned from a friend. you only need a little so goto your local airport and see if someone can give you a quarter gallon. apply with a brush leave for 5 minutes then wipe off. repeat until clean. it will even eat through a joint. after you have seperated the glass use blades and methylated spirits to clean. all will look new. done this loads of times.

Thanks for all the suggestions yall. I used Motsenbocker's Liftoff Silicone, Latex Caulk, and Foam Sealant Remover. It is a water-based product that I picked up at HD for about $4. I applied it and within a few minutes I could pull the overflow box off by hand.

Back