Single ended or double ended Halide Lighting

When dealing with DE and the 150 size, I mainly hear people praising the pheonix bulbs.

Ripped Tide;836004 wrote: When dealing with DE and the 150 size, I mainly hear people praising the pheonix bulbs.

Yup, Phoenix is da bomb for 150DEs. I wasn't recommending the Radium 150 DE, just stating its existence.

One thing I love when people talk about Radiums (I do this myself) is when they state "Radium 20K". Redundant, as all Radiums are 20K, hehehe!

Schwaggs;835933 wrote: I use 250W DE with magnetic ballasts over my 210 72X24x30 with excellent results. I run 14k Phoenix and love the spectrum. I think both will work, it's just a matter of what brand bulbs you want, Phoenix on DE or Radiums on SE. Theses are the 2 most popular bulbs IMO.
How do you like your magnetic ballasts? How old are the ballasts? What is the brand name? Have you ever used any other brands of ballasts? Any suggestions on any great quality brands of ballasts?

I must likely will go with at least 250 watt, but I'm still undecided on whether to go single end or double end on the halide lights. Any personal information would be greatful.

Wannabee

I have a Maristar 72" fixture made by Sunlight Supply just like the one Mike has for sale. I have been using mine with the Sunlight Supply Blueline non-electronic ballasts for 7 years. Everything has been rock solid. The only problem I had is the fans in the fixture went out a couple years back but that was a simple fix.

The 250W DE Magnetic ballasts actually overdrive the 250W bulbs to closer to 350W which works nicely for my 30" deep tank. The spread of the Sunlight Supply reflectors is very even.

Can anyone add their personal experiences to the questions below?

:unsure: Wannabee

WannabeeaReefKeeper;835953 wrote: Ripped Tide: Can you elaborate on being a single ended halide bulb fan? Is it because of the options available for types of ballasts for single ended? Is there less/more/ or the same for heat displacement for single and double ended bulbs?

How does the light spectrum range differ between the two types of bulbs?

Anyone else is allowed to participate with their personal experience between single or double ended halide bulbs.

Wannabee

Tryin' to get more input on single or double ended halide? What is your experience and what size aquarium was the halide lighting on?

Wannabee

Not sure how many more posts you will get, but I believe more reefers with halides use SE than use DE. Anyone that feels differently, please feel free to correct me.

Ripped Tide;835929 wrote: I am a single ended fan. I have a 400w Radium over my 93 cube, a 250w radium over my 30 rimless frag tank, and I just set up a 40breeder that I'll either use a 250w radium or LEDs for chalice only.

I hope you are planning on hanging it. I have to hang my 250w over my 40b soon. I can't leave it on or the temp will go up to 85 in 4 hours.

Josh, I always hang the pendants at least 10-12 inches above the rim of the tank.

The 40br is a plan of mine that I don't plan on continuing other than a QT. Now that the 210 supports most of my corals, I dont need the extra tanks.

I have 2 - DE, 250w geismann 20k with 2 HQI ballasts running which are about 6 or 7 years old. I bought it used and my growth/success hasn't been very good at all. I narrowed it all down and finally had a kind soul come measure it with a par meter and the readings were pretty terrible I think. It is a 29" tall tank, but at the sand it was 130 PAR and 270 par within 4 inches of the surface. 75%+ of the tank is under 200 par. Lights are mounted about 5" over the water. It's a coralife fixture with 2 - 95w pc's also which were on during the measurements.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to upgrade to a DIY led system that will be sized to have more power than a 400w radium. I like the idea of being able to adjust the color and intensity. Hopefully I'll have luck come my way.

outdrsyguy1;866206 wrote: I have 2 - DE, 250w geismann 20k with 2 HQI ballasts running which are about 6 or 7 years old. I bought it used and my growth/success hasn't been very good at all. I narrowed it all down and finally had a kind soul come measure it with a par meter and the readings were pretty terrible I think. It is a 29" tall tank, but at the sand it was 130 PAR and 270 par within 4 inches of the surface. 75%+ of the tank is under 200 par. Lights are mounted about 5" over the water. It's a coralife fixture with 2 - 95w pc's also which were on during the measurements.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to upgrade to a DIY led system that will be sized to have more power than a 400w radium. I like the idea of being able to adjust the color and intensity. Hopefully I'll have luck come my way.

Are your bulbs themselves 6-7 ears old? If yes, you need to change your bulbs out about every year, including the power compacts. Most of your issues are probably related to bulb age.

Halides are 3.5 months old now, PC's one at 2 months, another at 6 months. I don't think the reflectors are very good and the positioning of the bulbs is very close to a giant center glass cross brace. But the par readings we took were almost directly under the bulbs with no obstructions. I could clean the glass a 3rd time and try to clean the reflectors again but haven't made much progress when I did it before.

Barrettrhoades;866147 wrote: Single ended fan here. I have used both in the past, and find that the DE bulbs have a tendency to have less light spread. The other downside to DE is changing the bulbs is much more of a pain than Single ended. Also for those that have not used halides before, use a paper towel around the bulb when installing so that you don't get any oil on them from your hands. If there is any oil on the bulbs it will burn hotter there and can crack the glass housing.

Also with single ended bulbs, the glass acts as a UV filter. If you run a DE bulb without a glass "shield" the UV will nuke your corals.

Outstanding insight on your personal experience as it relates to single and double ended halide lights. :D I truly appreciate you taking some time out of your busy day to reply to my post. I was possibly leaning towards a DE until I read your post here.

Thanks again for your prespective. This is why I bumped my post to find out inputs like you have posted here. Great prespective. This is what I was looking for. :thumbs:

Wannabee

Edit:
outdrsyguy1;866206 wrote: I have 2 - DE, 250w geismann 20k with 2 HQI ballasts running which are about 6 or 7 years old. I bought it used and my growth/success hasn't been very good at all. I narrowed it all down and finally had a kind soul come measure it with a par meter and the readings were pretty terrible I think. It is a 29" tall tank, but at the sand it was 130 PAR and 270 par within 4 inches of the surface. 75%+ of the tank is under 200 par. Lights are mounted about 5" over the water. It's a coralife fixture with 2 - 95w pc's also which were on during the measurements.
I appreciate your response to my post. Your response is appreciated. What color is your sand, my guess would be possibly black for no reflection upward from the sand? Have you considered going with a standard aquarium instead of a tall one?

Wannabee

sand is white. It's cheaper to buy new lights than to replace my stand/canopy.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
866404=45344-February2013059_zpsfecd2469.jpg
>
866404=45344-February2013059_zpsfecd2469.jpg
class="gc-images" title="February2013059_zpsfecd2469.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back