Skimmer air intake uses and Ozone?

danh

Market
Reaction score
What are you using your skimmer air intake for? Scrubbing CO2? What are you using and why?

Are you using an O3 generator at all? How have you implemented it? What are you trying to accomplish?

I run one air inlet from outside and another with a canister of Soda Lime. My sump room is in the basement so I tend to have a depressed pH level.

My entire system is in my basement. So far PH hasn't suffered but my ORP is still a bit low. I try to open a door occasionally in the morning when it's cool enough. But I know it will become a problem at some point so I'm planning on running a line outside.

As of now I have no plans to run ozone. I do a bit of Striper fishing on Lanier and I have an O2 setup for my bait tank. I've thought about seeing what some short bursts of pure O2 would do but everything looks ok so I'm leaving well enough alone.

I'm not doing anything with mine. I don't really have Ph problems either, but I would like to get it to stay just a little bit higher. Should I try running the intake outside of the stand? I may have a little more air circulation through my stand than some, but not significantly. I've considered running it through co2 scrubbing media... and ozone.

Let me know when you have an empty spot on your boat, Adam :)

I just suck air in from outdoors. Using the skimmer for ozone isnt the best idea unless you know 100% everything is rated for ozone use and even then you have issues of the ozone entering the room air which is toxic if it builds up. You really want to use a reactor for ozone unless the room is well ventilated. I know people do it a lot but it is never a recommended course of action.

CO2 scrubbing really should not be needed unless your system pH stays under 7.9 at all times. From personal experience...chasing an ideal pH will only lead to problems. Dont worry about it unless its really low at every hour of the day.

Sounds good. I'm trying to make sure I'm not overlooking something simple..

The simplest way is to run an air line outside and connect it to the intake on the skimmer. That will get you a little higher, .02~.04. I'm not going to chase PH numbers but I can see the difference when I fall asleep watching TV down there.

Soda lime for a scrubber will get expensive over time.

Grest advice above. If you do run an outside line just make sure you don't spray any chemicals or anything around the input.

Yeah. This is on the second floor in my bedroom. I would run it out the window that is above my covered back patio. I don't think I'd have too much to worry about there. I'm not chasing anything really. I wouldn't mind bumping my ph by a little bit. I'm maintaining below without any work.

Capture_zpskasb3fb4.png
alt="" /></a>

Looks pretty much identical to mine. If you have a fuge, reverse the lighting on it and it will bring the minimum up a bit but other than that I wouldnt worry about a thing. That range is fine and not worth the money or effort to bring it up.

Like I said, I'm just making sure I'm not missing something simple on my skimmer intake. Something cheap and easy I should be doing - maybe just as reinforcement, not necessarily chasing any changes.

I am reverse lighting my fuge with 20watts vs 32watt min and I think 4x watts max during the day.

My ATS isn't really mature yet. Maybe the Ph will continue to stabilize as I get more mature ATS that more effectively exports CO2?
20160729_231705_zpshyv8dd75.jpg
alt="" /></a>

The big dips are when I've slept on the couch in the basement.
I don't have much going on in my system yet. Today is day 60 with water in it.
cef9999523a4b57b179c497c5af0a370.jpg
alt="" />

CO2 build up in the air. Its also the reason there is a pH drop in the middle of winter and summer when your house is totally sealed up from the outdoors, and the reason people say to draw air from outside.

I see. My house is as sealed up mid day as it is through the evening. More so during the say. I guess the bedroom could build up CO2 at night because we're in there sleeping?? Outside air temp, pollen or anything else environmental wouldn't cause more of a problem?

Ender is spot on as usual. We have decent sized dogs and if I don't open up windows once in a while or we have a buch of family over for for the day I'll see a drop in pH due to the excess Co2. Yours pH looks great. :)

The co2 will seep downstairs, unless you sleep with the door closed.
In my case the basement door is usually closed and when I'm down there it has nowhere to go. That's why I'm going to run an air line.

I've got a plan for pollen, particulate and bugs. Some of the wife's nylons ziptied to the end of the hose outside and a Tupperware container inside with some carbon in it. &#128513;

Back