Skimmer Mod: Collection Cup Drain

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
I need some guidance here. I want to put a drain on my skimmer's collection cup. Has anyone done this before? I don't want it to be jerry rigged, or have a higher than needed potential of falling apart.

My thought is that there should be a little valve (like for the water from the fridge) that is made of plastic. I'm thinking it should have a threaded side, and a quick connect on the other side would be awesome.

I'm planning to drill a whole, size to be determined, in the bottom of the cup. Thread the fitting through the whole and attach with rubber gaskets and a nut. Now the only problem is finding these misc. pieces.

I'd like to have a valve because I don't necessarily want this to drain all the time. The drain is nice to have when there is a need to wet skim. This is the only time I plan to use it.

Anyone see a major flaw with this plan? Do you have suggestions on what diameter I should shoot for? I'm considering 3/8" or 1/2". If I can only find the parts for 1/4" then I will be willing to go that thin because of the application (wet skimming).

Thanks in advance!

My suggestion would be to drill a hole rather then a whole because if you trill the whole there will be nothing left to drill a hole in.

On a serious note, what kind of fitting were you thinking of? If you want to make a threaded hole you will also need to tap it. Make sure you got the right tools.

^lol! Does the skimmer not have a drain hole already in the collection cup? Both my reef octopus' did so I just got clear tubing to fit over it and go to a 5g bucket..

http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings-Valves-Polyethylene-Pipe-Fittings/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbuu4/R-100208234/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051">http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings-Valves-Polyethylene-Pipe-Fittings/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbuu4/R-100208234/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051</a>

Something like this should work.

Most skimmers have a barb fitting in the bottom of the cup... a tapped hole, a barb and some teflon tape and you're in business. If you want a valve, just replace the barb with a John Guest fitting (larger is better; you don't want the chunks of skimmate to clog it).

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately, my skimmer did not come with a drain hole.

Haninja, you're "write"! .... lol. I would have serious problems.

I think the parts you guys suggested will work perfectly. I'll work on it this weekend and post pictures.

Thanks,
John

Just be careful drilling and tapping. Acrylic doesn't like much pressure. Take it easy and slow.

cr500_af;737429 wrote: Just be careful drilling and tapping. Acrylic doesn't like much pressure. Take it easy and slow.
That's what she said.:lol2:

And he's correct!

In my limited experience, drilling holes in acrylic is easy, but over tightening bolts, screws, etc can cause cracks and should be done with caution. Agree?

Back