Skimmer Problems

circlek

Market
Reaction score
I'm having some problems with my Octopus 150 skimmer. I don't seem to be getting the same amount of skimmate I was getting earlier.

It's to the point now where even after a week the collection cup is not even a quarter full.

I made sure that the air line is not plugged up, and I have adjusted the ouput height to try to get more skimming, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

The water level in the skimmer section of my sump is constant.

Any other suggestions? Do I need to take the pump apart?

This is my first skimmer, and it worked fine out of the box, so this is the first time I've had to deal with any issues.

Karl

Might want to check and see if the needlewheel on the impeller is clogged up with gunk...

Have you celaned the pump? if all is looking good, maybe you have an over sized skimmer(I am not familiar with octopus) and your doc level has reached a point where there is nothing to pull. What I would do is watch the nitrate level to see if it stays constant, if it raises then there maybe a problem with the skimmer, you can look further in to.

I second Suasati's advice. Also, when you clean your collection cup try not to get any oils (from your skin) on the inside of the rise tube. Oil will break the bubbles, and it will take longer for the skimmer to start skimming.

If your skimmer is still pulling the same amount of air & water, Your skimmer may be finding its equilibrium. ( not sure what else to call it) When you first upgrade skimmers, you will find that the skimmer may pull gallons out of your system. 1-4 weeks later its not pulling as much. Thats because their is not as much to pull from. ( the tank has been cleaned to the ability of the skimmer.) The bigger the performance upgrade the more apart this is. I find that readjusting the skimmer is necessary to maintain the skimmate production i want.

Thanks for the help guys.

I found that the part that connects the air line to the pump was clogged. Cleaned it and its working great now.

Karl

Back