Skimmer Pump Reccomendations please

schwaggs

Supporting
Reaction score
I have a Euro-Reef 8-3 skimmer on my system that I am thinking about upgrading. This skimmer has been working great for over 10 years but I think it can do more. I'm not interested in swapping out the skimmer as it physically fits perfectly in my setup and I'm not interested in modifying/tweaking my sump to make a new skimmer fit.

The 8-3 has two Sedra 5000 needle wheel pumps. They are reliable other than needing a new impeller every once in a while. while not perfectly silent, they don't make much noise. I'm certain some efficiency and possibly performance gains can be had with one of the more recent pumps.

Whats the best skimmer pump out there today? (I know this is a loaded question, just looking for your experiences and opinions)

With what have you replaced a Sedra 5000 on your ASM or Euro-Reef skimmer. Any tips on sizing (which model in a pump line is a good upgrade to the Sedra 5000), installation, tuning, performance?

I don't know if it's legit to post links to other forums here or not but if you Google "Sedra 5000" you'll find some results over at RC where they talk about using Sicce PSK-1000's.

I have one in my skimmer and it's very quiet. With 2 I think you'd be happy. Also Avast uses them in their skimmers because they say from a performance/price standpoint nothing works better.

anit77;1090210 wrote: I don't know if it's legit to post links to other forums here or not but if you Google "Sedra 5000" you'll find some results over at RC where they talk about using Sicce PSK-1000's.

I have one in my skimmer and it's very quiet. With 2 I think you'd be happy. Also Avast uses them in their skimmers because they say from a performance/price standpoint nothing works better.

You are more then welcome to post links. Can not go wrong with a Sicce PSK skimmer pump. Pretty much the industry standard for a good pump.

Thanks guys!

Morgan, do you remember what extra plumbing parts were needed for the swap? Did it improve skimming performance?

I don't have any experience with different skimmers or pumps but you might need a venturi for the PSK pump. Avast has one installed on their http://www.avastmarine.com/collections/aquarium-supplies/products/sicce-psk1000">replacement pumps.</a> Then it's just seeing how the output will connect to the body of the Euro.

I'm sure Morgan will reply with more info.

I actually have two of them and my old G3 body, but I can't find the second one. I'll have a look again and let you know. I'd sell you both and throw in the G3 body for $100, if I can find the second one.

Edit: Found it! I really need to clean out some of my crap... So, two PSK-1000s with venturis for $100?

Is the Sicce pump better than the Bubble Blasters that Reef Octopus uses? Just curious of that opinion. I believe that MRC has gone to using the Sicce pumps as well.

would a red dragon fit?
my previous bubble king was the best skimmer I ever touched...

at its heart was the RD.

MorganAtlanta;1090360 wrote: I actually have two of them and my old G3 body, but I can't find the second one. I'll have a look again and let you know. I'd sell you both and throw in the G3 body for $100, if I can find the second one.

Edit: Found it! I really need to clean out some of my crap... So, two PSK-1000s with venturis for $100?

For those who PM'ed me about the Sicce pumps, Sorry, Ricky already grabbed them.

Ricky5415;1090626 wrote: **** those RD are expensive pumps

they are also amazing.
don't ask me why.
Its one of those things a person has to experience haha

Back