Slate flooring question

jbadd99

Market
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to remove the carpet in my tank room and install slate.

My plans are to do the room in thirds, mostly due to time constraints, but I also don't want as many VOCs in the tank room at the same time. I'll also be leaving a window open to help vent the gasses, as well as turning the skimmer off.

I'm looking for input as to what I should do with the tank. It's 120g with a 40b sump. Obviously it's not moving unless I break it down, do the floor, and put it back. This presents some unique challenges because, 1. I don't have a stock tank big enough and 2. Slate tile is VERY uneven. We all know about the unique challenges of leveling a tank and I couldn't imagine leveling one on slate. I've debated about just cutting the carpet around the stand and leaving it in place until such time that the tank is removed (likely whenever we move in 234523 years).

So, what do you think I should do?

I think I would leave the tank. Buy enough slate to cover that spot in case you did move so it will all be the same. You can use 1/4 round around the edge of the tank.

I'd work around it and keep enough slate to finish it when you get ready to move or break the tank down.

I would also try to cover the tank while working and maybe use a window fan blowing outside to try and help evacuate the VOCs

Also they make low voc thinset a google search will give you plenty of options on that. Like others have said I would leave the tank in place tile around it just be sure when you do your layout to include that space.

I've already purchased enough slate to do the area where the tank is sitting now. I just wasn't sure how I'd level the tank of I decided to go ahead with that area.

I'd pretty much decided on what most of you ready said, I just wanted confirmation on my decision.

As for the VOCs, I have two large windows in the room, which is fairly small. I had planned on just leaving them open to vent the gasses. My only question though, is wouldn't a large plastic drape over the tank/stand only concentrate the VOCs around it and not give it as good an opportunity to ventilate?

jbadd99;803494 wrote: I've already purchased enough slate to do the area where the tank is sitting now. I just wasn't sure how I'd level the tank of I decided to go ahead with that area.

Depends on what the bottom of your stand is like. I've always had load bearing "feet" on my stands which made leveling easy on any surface. If you have a complete flat-bottom tank, you could probably use some 1/2" pink foam insulation board to deal with the surface issues.

Working around it is the key at this point.

I know you mentioned you bought enough slate to deal with what you have now, but do yourself a favor and buy 2-3x that much. You may very well bust a piece along the way or through the years. Also, having the same grout would be a good thing. Pile it away forever...

In my last house I was so glad that I found a stack of 20 year old tile to replace 4 broken pieces before we moved.

Honestly its not that hard to move a tank to do flooring. Ive done it 3 times with tanks up to 180g.

Get those plastic dish things to move furniture, or the felt ones. Drain the tank and sump so there is just enough water for the fish. Put the mover thingies under the corner and get 2-4 people to push it. it will slide fine.

I would move the tank on the carpet(and just run it off an extension cord), do the part under the tank and them move it back.

I did this last month with a 110g that was in an entry way which was getting retiled. Worked great. Took an hour to drain and move it, then next weekend we moved it back.

EnderG60;807830 wrote: Honestly its not that hard to move a tank to do flooring. Ive done it 3 times with tanks up to 180g.

Get those plastic dish things to move furniture, or the felt ones. Drain the tank and sump so there is just enough water for the fish. Put the mover thingies under the corner and get 2-4 people to push it. it will slide fine.

I would move the tank on the carpet(and just run it off an extension cord), do the part under the tank and them move it back.

I did this last month with a 110g that was in an entry way which was getting retiled. Worked great. Took an hour to drain and move it, then next weekend we moved it back.

Not really a viable option. It's in a corner ;)

And Jeff, I've got several extra boxes just for that purpose, but slate is extremely tough. I dropped a 10 lb sledge hammer from about 5 feet up on some that I'd already done in my house a few years back - not even a dent.

jbadd99;808066 wrote:
And Jeff, I've got several extra boxes just for that purpose, but slate is extremely tough. I dropped a 10 lb sledge hammer from about 5 feet up on some that I'd already done in my house a few years back - not even a dent.

hehe... just wait. When it's on the market and you have a 10:30 showing, you'll drop a plant on it and shatter one at 9:45. That's just how it works. :):mad2::)

The big thing is making sure the subfloor is adequate for the slate to prevent any flex. The guy who did the tile in my old house was a self-proclaimed handy-man, but more over he was an idiot with a hammer & some duct tape.

I fail to see how it being in a corner makes sliding the tank not viable....

EnderG60;808128 wrote: I fail to see how it being in a corner makes sliding the tank not viable....

How do you get enough leverage on a 250 lb worth of tank, 150lbs of rock, 200 lbs of sand, 100 lb stand and god knows what else to pull it out of a corner when it's already sitting on carpet, and then be able to lift it onto the slate? It's a 4x2x2 tank that is literally in the corner. Oh yeah, it's sitting on berber carpet with plush padding.

If you know, I'm all ears because I don't think I'm capable with what I have.

And Jeff, sub floor is not an issue... it's on a concrete slab :D

Youre not lifting the tank. At most you lift one side 2" to get the sliders under the corners. if you need to move it away from the wall get one person to lift it slightly and one person to pull it away from the wall. I really dont see you needing more then two guys to move it.

Again dont think lift, just push and slide.

The only time I ever had to lift a tank when moving it like that was just putting some vertical pressure on it to get it to slide over an uneven surface.

Sorry I would never slide or push a Full tank. If something gave or the stand collapsed it be over with

lifting one side of a tank 2 inches out of square, to get the sliders underneath sounds crazy to me

PFCDeitz;808255 wrote: Sorry I would never slide or push a Full tank. If something gave or the stand collapsed it be over with

heathlindner25;808334 wrote: lifting one side of a tank 2 inches out of square, to get the sliders underneath sounds crazy to me

EnderG60;807830 wrote: Honestly its not that hard to move a tank to do flooring. Ive done it 3 times with tanks up to 180g.

Hmm

Edit:
PFCDeitz;808255 wrote: Sorry I would never slide or push a Full tank. If something gave or the stand collapsed it be over with

heathlindner25;808334 wrote: lifting one side of a tank 2 inches out of square, to get the sliders underneath sounds crazy to me

Hmm

Think I'm gonna stick to my plan of just getting enough slate to tile it when I move or break down the tank (if that happens).

grouper therapy;808389 wrote:
Hmm

dont you hmm me old man!

I like how everyone is so unsure and judgmental about things they have never done before.

I moved a 110g tank doing that 3 weeks ago, its really no big deal.

to pull a tank out a square even a half of an inch just seems sketchy to me, not saying it can't be done.

Yay. Finally getting around to this project.

B9B5A143-4C87-48AA-AFE9-FB9A59BB7EFB-2739-000001D07BE0C62F.jpg
alt="" />

I'm limited on space since its been raining, so I'm having to go in increments. Also had to get the carpet removed too. Snapped this yesterday. I'll be getting to the rest of the room tomorrow now that I'm able to move some things around.

Back