So, I have a little cyano happening...

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
And I'd like to get a handle on it before it gets any more coverage. Right now the area is on the sand, about 1.5x4". Another smaller area exists, also on the sand.

I've read some about using a mag supplement (Kent M?), but Mag is the only test kit I haven't bought yet and I don't want to get any parameters out of whack.

Any suggestions on what my weekend plan should be, since the next time I can hit a LFS is Monday?

FWIW, this is growing in a pretty high flow area of the tank.

Phosphates are as close to zero as I can interpret from my... API kit. Meaning they are FAR closer to the "zero" color than the first reading above. I know a titration test is better, but until Mon I have what I have. Better kit is down the road, but I've already (five days ago) put a phosban bag under the overflow outlet in the sump (since I have no reactor).

Not yet. But I can do it tomorrow as a test. Does cyano even need light, since it's a bacteria?

You can cut down on feedings, lights off a couple days and siphon whatever you see out.

Off to siphon now. Thanks, I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not (sounds stupid, I know, but I like to be safe). Now hopefully that stuff combined will help. So it DOES need light?

Lights out on a tank for cyano is really more of a last option.. I did it for 4 days one time.. More times than not its like putting a band-aid on a shotgun wound.. You really have to get to the underlying issue of why its there in the first place.. I just got lucky.. If you ever need to test your mg. Just come on up barry I got a fresh test kit we can use..

DrNecropolis;354278 wrote: Lights out on a tank for cyano is really more of a last option.. I did it for 4 days one time.. More times than not its like putting a band-aid on a shotgun wound.. You really have to get to the underlying issue of why its there in the first place.. I just got lucky.. If you ever need to test your mg. Just come on up barry I got a fresh test kit we can use..

+1

I tried all the "tricks" to deal with cyano, but getting my tank parameters right was the only thing that got rid of it. (Plus changing out all the tap water with RO/DI eventually.)

I had 2 little spots of Cyano that really didn't bother me too awful much as they never spread and were hard to see. I had been doing some reading on bacterial supplements and how they can benefit a tank and insure that your existing colony stays healthy. I figured it couldn't hurt so i ordered some "Nitromax Marine" bacterial supplement from F&S. I know it sounds a little flakey and i thought this might end up on the "What was i thinking" list. I added it according to the directions and the next morning all the cyano was gone. This was 2 weeks ago and it hasn't returned and the livestock are healthy and happy.

DrNecropolis;354278 wrote: Lights out on a tank for cyano is really more of a last option.. I did it for 4 days one time.. More times than not its like putting a band-aid on a shotgun wound.. You really have to get to the underlying issue of why its there in the first place.. I just got lucky.. If you ever need to test your mg. Just come on up barry I got a fresh test kit we can use..

May take you up on that, maybe later tonight or tomorrow night if you don't mind. All the params that I test for are fine, but that's not all of them... so maybe there is my problem. Haven't tested in a week, I'll run through them again tonight. Don't get me started on why I pumped my ATO into the floor this morning... :mad2::mad2::mad2:

tgray3;354292 wrote: I had 2 little spots of Cyano that really didn't bother me too awful much as they never spread and were hard to see. I had been doing some reading on bacterial supplements and how they can benefit a tank and insure that your existing colony stays healthy. I figured it couldn't hurt so i ordered some "Nitromax Marine" bacterial supplement from F&S. I know it sounds a little flakey and i thought this might end up on the "What was i thinking" list. I added it according to the directions and the next morning all the cyano was gone. This was 2 weeks ago and it hasn't returned and the livestock are healthy and happy.

Interesting. How much is in a dose?

Phosphate levels can be too low to show up on an Api test kit and still more than high enough for algae.

We increased our water volume with a larger sump, upgraded to a real skimmer, increased the flow, and cut back on feedings.

Jess...
One through three done; four now gonna happen! You goin' to the meeting?

DrNecropolis;354301 wrote: I have newer CA,MG,and Alk Salifert kits they we could use.. Just let me know..

Did I tell you lately that you are the man?

Anna's last week of preK been running around like a wild man.. Haven't had time to eat or sleep in 2 days..

Pre K graduation is SOOOO two weeks ago. Is she starting K at Ragsdale in the fall?

I can't believe that there will be 4 ARC kids in an elementary school in Yorkville, GA, USA.:cheers:

Back