So.... if the power goes out????

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
Yup, you guessed, no generator. I have an inverted that will allow me to run a couple of things off the car battery with a drop cord.

I've read about dosing peroxide in a pinch to increase O2 levels. Anyone have any experience with that?

I think oxygenation is the biggest key (temperature also). I would you 3 gal jug and if you can, scoop water into it and pour it back into the display at a comfortable height. When the entering water hits the DT, this will create oxygenation.

Lol, I'll get my egg beater stat. I have been meaning to buy battery operated back up aerators and simply forgot. They are far cheaper than a generator. Now that I have an MP 40 the Vortech battery back up is at the top of my list.

I had a FW set up when the tornados came through North Georgia in 2011 and lost almost everything during the 46 hours without power. I had no idea then that pouring would add O2.

I recently bought a batter back up for my Vortech MP40 and it has worked great in the 1 or 2 times that the power has gone out (its never gone out for more than an hour).

In the past I have also used the battery powered air stones and they have done the job when I have needed them. Again, I have never had the power go out for a really long period of time, but the battery air stones will last at least an hour or two (I think mine use two D-batteries).

JeffMuse;953127 wrote: I recently bought a batter back up for my Vortech MP40 and it has worked great in the 1 or 2 times that the power has gone out (its never gone out for more than an hour).

In the past I have also used the battery powered air stones and they have done the job when I have needed them. Again, I have never had the power go out for a really long period of time, but the battery air stones will last at least an hour or two (I think mine use two D-batteries).

Actually just had to replace one of my 2 Vortech Batteries yesterday after 4 or so years (cannot remember).

Spend thousands on a tank and livestock and equipment. Insurance in a $400-$600 generator - seems logical to me...:) Just Sayin'.

This thread must have been an omen of some kind. The storm knocked out my power and I have not had electricity for a couple of hours now. The Vortech battery back up is doing its job :)

Trust me, if the folks at lfs would be more honest about the cost of this hobby you would encounter less people like me that did not adequatley protect their investments with generators.

Resources like ARC are a great educational tool, but it's also one I didn't know about when I started. I was loaded down with everything I needed to be successful at a very high price. I slowly learned about reactors, RO/DI water, supplements,skimmers, proper lighting and on and on and on. All things that should have been discussed up front. If I knew the true cost up front I would still be planning.

As it is I am fortunate to have underground utilities and usually keep power when those around me don't, last night was a great example of that. I never even flickered with 60 mph winds. I'll have to stick to the car inverter for now.

If it were that cheap people would say "here have a generator" rather than buy one.

Set a drip line to 1-3 drops a second to go into the tank & float enough bags of warm water (or ice) to maintain temp - you can keep a tank going for a surprisingly long time with this approach. Not hands-off mind you, but in an emergency it can save the day. (get an aforementioned generator and ATS panel installed or one monster sine-wave output UPS if unattended failover's needed)

With fresh batteries (even rechargeables) my battery-powered air pump lasts about 10-12 hours.

Don't forget emergency blankets--I've wrapped these (along with some Therma-care heat patches) and they do a great job and keeping the tank warm for several hours

I'm out of town and got the call that the power went out from my fiance. She went down and checked and the battery backup I made for the jeabo had kicked in and the ups had the heater running, we currently rent and I don't think I could swing a generator. But very happy that I made the battery backup

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I have two Vortech battery backups for if I don't happen to be home or sleep through a power outage... then the 8000 watt generator hooked up to a just-about-whole-home transfer circuit to power the house if I'm around to pull the cord. Maybe someday I'll have a bigboy auto-start generac out back.

I've had a really close scare before and considered myself lucky... it's so cheap when you really think about it versus having to stock a brand new tank and all the heart ache.

NorthGaHillbilly;953248 wrote: I'm out of town and got the call that the power went out from my fiance. She went down and checked and the battery backup I made for the jeabo had kicked in and the ups had the heater running, we currently rent and I don't think I could swing a generator. But very happy that I made the battery backup

do you have a thread for the Jebao battery backup you made?

Kirkwood;953313 wrote: do you have a thread for the Jebao battery backup you made?

I do, it's in the diy array, it's tied in with my auto top off. I can better explain it if it's something that could help other people out.

Back