So what has changed in this hobby?

FutureInterest

Market
Reaction score
Alright, I've been out of the hobby for sometime and am now planning to get back into it.

I could use some advice from you experienced reefers on what has changed over the last 7 years. Thank you in advance.

Almost everything! Not knowing what you already did or were using makes it difficult to tell you exactly where the hobby is today. So tell us what you had in operation before and be specific.

first welcome back into the game.
LED LIGHTS WOULD BE ONE OF THE GAME CHANGERS ALONG WITH DC POWERED RETURN PUMPS AND POWER HEADS ALONG WITH AQUARIUM CONTROLLERS, THESE ARE JUST FOR A START.

Common 2015 technology current in use by most of us:
- OLED and Laser lighting systems
- Hypophonic Coral Acclimators
- Geothermal heaters
- Evaporation Reclamation devices

elFloyd;1058557 wrote: Common 2015 technology current in use by most of us:
- OLED and Laser lighting systems
- Hypophonic Coral Acclimators
- Geothermal heaters
- Evaporation Reclamation devices

The last one is just called a dehumidifier ;) always wondered about just dropping it back into the ATo ha

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Yep, LED lighting has come a long way, but still debated.

DC pumps are fairly recent. I would think that the skimmers have become more efficient.

Carbon dosing as a form of nutrient export, maybe?

Was the bean animal drain system around then?

The ceramic O rings have been dumped, the bio balls were the culprit for high nitrates, the under gravel filters are gone, new fashion name for corals make them rocket sky high prices, led lights are 65% more use now than when they started in the market, there's a new trending now about introducing No3 and PhoS to your tank to gain color in your coral. :)

Jk

don't for get the very advanced additives we have on the market now, from bio to filter media.

JBDreefs;1058580 wrote: Yep, LED lighting has come a long way, but still debated.

DC pumps are fairly recent. I would think that the skimmers have become more efficient.

Carbon dosing as a form of nutrient export, maybe?

Was the bean animal drain system around then?
been around I know since 2007 just wasn't called that. I used it in the first tanks.

Great to see an old friend stop on by! Hope you and your family are doing well Jin!

Colin

Sup Colin :p. Family is doing well! Kids are all in school and wife has green lit some disposable income for a tank again... Happy days! I'm planning to go bigger this time.

Alright so to give you guys a point of reference... This is my http://futurereef.blogspot.com/">tank's blog</a>... it's still up for some reason even though it hasn't been updated since 2008. I used t5s for my display and a kitty litter container for my sump... no joke. I used vortechs, kalk in my top off water, a skimmer, a remote sandbed and mangroves. It seemed to work well until I took a gig that required 50% travel that ended up more like 80% travel and eventually everything crashed from neglect.

So back then LED's were coming around but they just weren't strong enough. Sounds like people are running them successfully now. What brands would you guys recommend, there are a ton of them out there.

What's the latest and greatest for flow? Still vortechs?

I was using a stockman overflow, which was fine for me. I just looked at the bean animal and it seems like a stockman and herbie overflow had a baby.

What the heck is apex? :P

What are DC pumps?

Thanks guys.

Welcome back! You had an amazing tank!

There are a ton of LED options out there now. I use the ReefBreeder led and it's been a great light for me. You will rarely see one go up for sale.
The Gyre is a new type of powerhead and has been amazing for me.
The Apex is a controller and imho the best on the market. It allows you to control and monitor just about everything you could need or want.
DC return pumps are amazing and allow adjustable control of flow and use much less electricity and heat.

Thanks. Working on that tank gave me a lot of pleasure... well mostly :)

Wow. I feel like Marty McFly when he goes to 2015 from 1987... some of the critical components have changed quite a bit. I'm liking everything you just said. Thank you, I'll check those out for my tank build.

One question tho: Are you running multiple gyre? I'd like to see one of these in action sometime and I see you're in JC. I'm not too far and I swing by the LA fitness there for raquetball at least once a week or so. If possible, I'd like to swing by and check out your setup sometime. :)

FutureInterest;1058667 wrote: Thanks. Working on that tank gave me a lot of pleasure... well mostly :)

Wow. I feel like Marty McFly when he goes to 2015 from 1987... some of the critical components have changed quite a bit. I'm liking everything you just said. Thank you, I'll check those out for my tank build.

One question tho: Are you running multiple gyre? I'd like to see one of these in action sometime and I see you're in JC. I'm not too far and I swing by the LA fitness there for raquetball at least once a week or so. If possible, I'd like to swing by and check out your setup sometime. :)

You welcome to drop by anytime. :) I run with just one Gyre. However, other are running two in larger tanks. They just came out with an Apex ready controller which allows you to control two Gyres and run them in all the Vortech modes. I replaced 4 Jaebo RW 8s with one Gyre and run it at 40%. I can't say enough about it.

Honestly looking at your old setup all the new stuff doesnt matter. Obviously you had great success with whatever you were doing then. Guess the new gadets and gizmos could make stuff easier for you though. Looking forward to your build

Back