So what has changed in this hobby?

Genesis - Thank you. I'm really excited about the new equipment and technology that can be utilized.

Brent - It was a pleasure meeting you! Wow. What an amazing setup. I learned a tremendous amount and really admire your system! The proof is in the pudding and what you are doing is working really really well. Thanks again for letting me check it out and spending time mentoring a noobie. :)

Thanks Thanh. Yah I saw quite a lot of that at work over at Brent's place. It was pretty amazing how the technology has improved.

Are you using LED's?

I use Kessil's. They work well for me. I would be willing to bet that T5's are still the best solution in terms of getting color, but for me, LEDs are better for temperature, running cost, and that beautiful shimmer on the sand bed.

Nice. I'm leaning towards LED and supplementing with T5. There is a lot to like about LED technology. I just need to see it to believe it. Having seen Bcavalli's tank yesterday, I'm much more of a believer. I would however like to see a few more LED setups to determine which one to go with though. Do you feel the spotlight LED is the way to go?

Personally, I think the spotlight LEDs are the way to go because there is less "disco ball" effect on the sand bed. Disco Ball is basically when you have the sandbed shimmer, but the various colors don't quite lineup because you have so many light sources.

With that being said, I've seen successful tanks from Kessils, Radions, all the way down to the cheap chinese lights.

FutureInterest;1058969 wrote: Thanks Thanh. Yah I saw quite a lot of that at work over at Brent's place. It was pretty amazing how the technology has improved.

Are you using LED's?

My tank has been running under two of Radion XR30w Pro with wide angle 120-degree TIR lens since October 2014.
a>

Hey Jin welcome back buddy! glad to hear you and the family are doing well. Always loved your tank man. I'm sure the new setup will be killer. Bob

I have run Kessils and radions and honestly I think they both have their benefits. I get better color from the radions but much better growth from the Kessils. And nothing is comparable to the shimmer of the Kessil. I will honestly be switching back to Kessils since the new tablet came out.

Hi Bob. Good to see you man. :)

Joe, I will look into that for sure! Thanks.

JeffandKelly - hmmm... good info. thanks!

Don't be so quick to scrap your t-5's. Lots of new fixtures and approaches now retrofit in a couple of LED strips to address a specific want/need (say adding more warm white or 410-425nm "UV" or just a little additional actinic effect) while still getting that nice, diffused all-over lighting.

I've only run leds over my own tanks due to space constraints but all of the setups I've personaly seen using "hybrid" t-5/LEDs seem to grow just about anything and promote some great color development.

Bonus in that you already have the fixture...save the money for the now $$$ expensive corals, controllers & pumps that have flooded the market. ;)

I currently have two tanks setup. On one I'm using AI sol blues, and on my larger 250, im using radion xr30 pros with 6 t5s. I also just got in the new AI hydra 26 HD.

BulkRate;1059480 wrote: Don't be so quick to scrap your t-5's. Lots of new fixtures and approaches now retrofit in a couple of LED strips to address a specific want/need (say adding more warm white or 410-425nm "UV" or just a little additional actinic effect) while still getting that nice, diffused all-over lighting.

I've only run leds over my own tanks due to space constraints but all of the setups I've personaly seen using "hybrid" t-5/LEDs seem to grow just about anything and promote some great color development.

Bonus in that you already have the fixture...save the money for the now $$$ expensive corals, controllers & pumps that have flooded the market. ;)

I'm going to combo t5 and led for sure. Just not sure what led system to go for yet... And to what degree the t5 should be supplementing. You raise an interesting thought tho that I go primarily t5 and supplement with the leds... hmmm. Thanks.

LSU_fishFan;1059490 wrote: I currently have two tanks setup. On one I'm using AI sol blues, and on my larger 250, im using radion xr30 pros with 6 t5s. I also just got in the new AI hydra 26 HD.

Hmmm... Have you done par readings? Thanks!

FutureInterest;1059667 wrote: Hmmm... Have you done par readings? Thanks!

Yes, with both t5 and Radions on, I'm getting about 300 par, but using a par meter on LEDs can have skewed results.

Back