something to keep an eye out for!

myreefclub0070

Market
Reaction score
while cleaning the tank a few weeks ago, i discovered a little bulge under the scrub pad on the wet side of my portal viewer and decided to peel back the pad, to my surprise the magnet inside the housing rusted and swollen, pop throw the plastic body.
I'm sure i caught it in time to prevent contaminating the tank with iron and other metals which would surly cause a catastrophe.
the good side to this is i contacted the manufacture and with out blinking an eye they ask if i would pay shipping for a new one and it was on the way, now I'll keep an eye on it to see if this would happen again(hope not, i love that thing).

check yours every now and then, be proactive not regretful.

jrhunter0000;1026435 wrote: Nice catch before you leached! Have you contacted them and see what they can d for you?

Yes I did and I paid $6.95 s&h and they sent a new one out.
The wet side should be sealed pretty good so not to get water in, but it might be just a 1 in a 1000 fluke.
It just pays to go through your equipment occasionally.

Dang I'll have to check mine this afternoon. I don't think I've moved it off the same piece of glass since I bought it.

Yeow! I just got of these and give the price I would have expected a better build quality. Thanks for sharing your experience and glad to hear they replaced without any drama. I'll be keeping a close eye on mine.

Great catch Marlon! Thanks for sharing. I'll certainly keep a close eye on mine.

Urbanknight;1026464 wrote: Great catch Marlon! Thanks for sharing. I'll certainly keep a close eye on mine.

The sleeping giant awakes, coming out to join us tomorrow?
I'll wheel you around in a chair if I have too....lol.....seriously.
(Knee surgery if anyone's itching there head)

I wish I had one to check!!

Marlon question is, are you going to pick him up and take him back home :)

Camellia;1026531 wrote: I wish I had one to check!!

Marlon question is, are you going to pick him up and take him back home :)

Well I'm sure if it had to happen, one of own nice members on that side of town won't mine stopping by and picking up the dougster.

I would love to buy one of these. Where did you get your from or does anyone else have one?

Scary stuff. I lost a couple of acro colonies a couple months back and for the life of me couldn't figure out why. A couple weeks later, I noticed the magnets on a frag rack in my sump were covered in rust.

bpitts4;1026573 wrote: I would love to buy one of these. Where did you get your from or does anyone else have one?

i bought my at premier aquatics and it was 80 bucks map price.
lots of folks have them and they work great and if you get the deeper lens for it, 10 times better.
i just hope it turns out to be an on going issue.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1026606 wrote: i bought my at premier aquatics and it was 80 bucks map price.
lots of folks have them and they work great and if you get the deeper lens for it, 10 times better.
i just hope it turns out to be an on going issue.

Marlon, what is the deeper lense?

dball711;1026610 wrote: Marlon, what is the deeper lense?

they sell it with the standard lens and on there web site the sell a upgrade lens that has more magnification.
work great for looking all the way in the back of the tank and super great for up front.

I was just on the web site and look like they don't sell the long sense as a stand alone item, shuks...

dball711;1026613 wrote: I was just on the web site and look like they don't sell the long sense as a stand alone item, shuks...

Dave, just leave the #of portals ordering at 0 and 1 for the long lense. It took me a minute to figure it out when I ordered mine.

I appreciate sharing the heads-up! I've had had mine for a little over a year now, I'm curious how long you've had yours to notice this?

Sn4k33y3z;1026666 wrote: I appreciate sharing the heads-up! I've had had mine for a little over a year now, I'm curious how long you've had yours to notice this?

I've had this less than 8 months, it might be random but no need to take a chance.

Back