Sparkling T-5s

jhutto

Reaction score
Guys,
Just refreshed my t-5 bulbs on my 90 gallon reef tanks after having it set up for 16 months. Got the combination of bulbs that several recommended. I also took that ole wiseone's (Cameron) recommendation and got two power brite strips and placed between two of the reflectors of the t-5s. I have a total of 6 lamps on the 48 inch tank. I moved the lights slightly so I could get the beams from the 8 LEDs on the two strips. I now get shimmer before the first light comes on and thru the first set of blue actinics. Then I shut them off until the end of the day and get shimmer once again. The strips have 6 white lights and two blues. I placed the one with the two blues over the green hammer and others that the collors jump out from the tanks. While the LES are on, the fish are still swimming along and its absolutely brillant to watch. I know many have moon lights and the like, but I have only seen this on Cam's old tank and fell in love with it. All the lights are controlled with the ReefKeeper 2. Its one of my favorite gadgets and it makes life so much easier as all the turning on and off is automated. The new lights are visibly brighter even to the human eyes. Have you changed your bulbs lately? Thought I would share.

:yay:

Joe

Power Brites can be gotten at Marine Depot or Drs Smith Foster. They are made by Current USA. I have not seen them locally and appears that Aquabuys does not have them. I have the one with four white lights and another with 2 blues and 2 whites spaced apart in the 48 inch tank. I will do pictures when I can practice what we learned at the meeting the other night. Shimmer will not show up in pictures. The lights are in the center. I was concerned about enough space but all you need is enough to shoot the spot down on the water and need to have lots of ripples. Got a Tunze 6060 blowing away to it helps the ripple effect. For Cameron's recommendations and others I did a search and now cannot find it. Brandon will know the one I am talking about. I ended up getting the bulbs from Reef Geek. He has some of the better lights and was helpful in fine tuning the selection and placement.

Joe

I think Sam does carry them... Not positive though as I just use other LEDS to accomplish a similar result. Are these what you're talking about Joe?

merchant.mvc

Yep, you are right. I looked under lights and did not see them. He had them under new products. Sorry bout that, Sam.

Joe

FutureInterest;191638 wrote: I think Sam does carry them... Not positive though as I just use other LEDS to accomplish a similar result. Are these what you're talking about Joe?

http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=cur_led_dual">http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=cur_led_dual</a>[/QUOTE]

Jin, are you using LED flood lights? Any idea if these work as well?

Back