species tank

twistoflime

Market
Reaction score
Once I get all the fish in my 30g into the big tank I'd like to do a species tank but I don't now which species to get. What do you guys think would be the coolest?

You might think this a joke but I was thinking a condy tank with Domino damsels. Not so they can eat them but Dominos host condy's. For real, I swear.

do a goby tank. stick with all small species, as in <2". with lots of rock and good husbandry, you could probably get upwards of 15-20 fish in that tank. neon, gold neon, redheaded, green banded, rose line/hi-fin, yasha, clown, trimma, eviota, spikefin, masked (will school in groups), etc etc. don't worry about territories, i had a hi-fin and a yasha share a cave in my 20 for a long time before i moved the yasha to a smaller tank with a pistol.

Domino's will get too big for a 30. I like the jawfish idea, or maybe a goby/pistol shrimp combo. How bout a cleaner tank with blood shrimp and some neon gobies? Have rubble across the bottom and grow mad shroom and zoo frags

Ive done seahorses some before. Theses days many can be fed frozen foods as they are captive bred more. Back when I had them you had to have live brine shrimp for them to eat almost on the hour. They have a short digestive system. They dont like fast water movement so thats a conflict with many corals, and need something to wrap the tail around. Gorgonias or some plants maybe.

I was unable to continue with them. The corals lured me into tank situations which where not suitable for the seahorses, and the culture of live brine was pretty dang stinky in the house. Ive seen folks raise the guys in captivity which happens pretty easy, but the baby seahorses need freshly hatched brine or plankton to survive. They do eat copepods as I remember I think.

<u>Seahorses would be a species focus for sure</u> but I personally would love to see you do this done.

Fish Scales2;294719 wrote: You might think this a joke but I was thinking a condy tank with Domino damsels. Not so they can eat them but Dominos host condy's. For real, I swear.
The thing is it would be really hard to do this with the corals I already have. I can think about it though. Domino damsels get really big, will any other damsel fish host anemones?

I had a pair of pearly head/yellow head jawfish in a 33 cube, with a pair of black clowns. Beautiful tank.

A bluespot jawfish is always very pretty and less shy than the pearlys to watch.

And if you have the $$ a pair of helfrich firefish would do very well in a species tank, with some other very non-aggressive fish if desired.

You already know it will be a seahorse tank so I figured I would throw something odd out there. Dominos are the only other damsel that I know of that do this.

It is rare for any anemonefish to host in condylactis anemones (clowns are pacific, and condis are atlantics), but occasionally it works. Any clown can do so, but dont hold your breath.

I like the anglerfish idea.

For those who ?. I personally like the the goby tank idea.
<span style="color: #008000">www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpGcRqbtGuE</span>

domino.jpg
alt="" />

A jawfish tank would be cool as well. I just bought a blue spot today from creation reef and its sweet!

Fish Scales2;294719 wrote: You might think this a joke but I was thinking a condy tank with Domino damsels. Not so they can eat them but Dominos host condy's. For real, I swear.

I have a pair of Domino Damsels if you want them.

octopus life span is short averaging only 3-5 years in the wild. Ive heard 2 yrs in captivity. Have yourself and the kids prepared for the inevitable.

On the up side I read in some thread about a LFS having and Octopus leave its tank overnight while humans were away feeding on inhabitants of other tanks. They are very smart Ive heard and read. Knew one guy who had one several years ago who described him as being like a puppy in intelligence and playfulness.

2 years is stretching it. Hard to get them past a year. I would stick to something that you would get more enjoyment out of.

pygmy octos only live for about 6-12 months. there is also no way of determining their age when captured, so if it dies in a month you can't really tell if it was because you did a crappy job of keeping it, or if it was just 11 months old.

Back