Speeding up life?

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was just thinking to myself about the affects of light periods and water temp on the life of our fish.

I've read that at higher temps, the metabolisms of our fish increase. And since we rely on light to develop time, would having multiple light periods in a day, and running water around 82 degrees, would we change the life span of our fish?

Just a theory with no experience behind it.

Thoughts?

Wow! That sounds like something I'd think of whilst sitting on the back porch enjoying a few cold beverages and watching the storm roll by.

An interesting thought. Sounds like some graduate work material to me!

I have heard of members within ARC running dual light periods. Like 6am - 12pm and 6pm - 12am.

Hopefully one these guys will chime in.

I don't think that multiple light periods is whats going to make that big of a difference verses longer light period.
longer light period coupled with higher temps will most defiantly heighten the metabolism of any living organisum and therefore short it's life span, by how much I can say.
here is some reading material :
a>

if that theory is true then people who live in warmer climates would live much shorter lives than those in Alaska...

MYREEFCLUB0070;1073741 wrote: I don't think that multiple light periods is whats going to make that big of a difference verses longer light period.
longer light period coupled with higher temps will most defiantly heighten the metabolism of any living organisum and therefore short it's life span, by how much I can say.
here is some reading material :
http://www.petmd.com/fish/care/evr_fi_fish_metabolism">http://www.petmd.com/fish/care/evr_fi_fish_metabolism</a>[/QUOTE]

Great link Marlon

[QUOTE=][B]SnowManSnow;1073742 wrote:[/B] if that theory is true then people who live in warmer climates would live much shorter lives than those in Alaska...[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily, fish are cold blooded and their body temp will change with the environment.

LSU_fishFan;1073746 wrote:

Not necessarily, fish are cold blooded and their body temp will change with the environment.

Sounds like my wife!!!!!!! hehehehehehe

Here's more to make your head hurt...

One one hand, hobbyists are more likely to kill a fish before it dies of old age (an uncomfortable truth).

On the other hand, a skillful (and lucky) hobbyist can potentially keep a specimen longer than it might survive in the wild, because the variables of available food and predation are eliminated.

It used to be thought that a clownfish's lifespan was 8-10 years. I know firsthand of more than a few that are closer to 20 years old.

Jenn

if it is a fowler. have fun with light cycles. maybe ill learn something.

if it is a coral reef system. they get 12 hours REST. idc if you do 12 hour 100% or 6 hour with ramping. i highly suggest the rest period. i BOMB my corals with 600 par. they need the rest or they die.

there is a white paper on it somewheres. i can find it for you if you need.

LSU_fishFan;1073746 wrote: Great link Marlon

Not just body temperature but metabolism as well. Higher temperatures means higher metabolism.

To the point about fish from cold environments living longer then warm environments, generally fish don't die of "old age" in the wild. There are certainly some cold water fish, even within the hobby, with long life spans (koi and goldfish come to mind here). Sturgeon, a temperate saltwater fish here in Georgia, lives to be quite old. They don't reach sexual maturity until 10-20 years in Acipenser oxyrhincus oxyrhincus. Coelacanths, a warm water fish, also live to great ages. There are bathypelavic fish that can also live many years (see the orange roughy -- up to 150 years!). The fish that are able to reach that old age grow quickly enough to get out of the size that makes them an easy meal. I'm not sure if there has been any research into average lifespan in cold vs warm. Really, it would depend on the species, habitat, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Russ-IV;1073820 wrote: if it is a fowler. have fun with light cycles. maybe ill learn something.

if it is a coral reef system. they get 12 hours REST. idc if you do 12 hour 100% or 6 hour with ramping. i highly suggest the rest period. i BOMB my corals with 600 par. they need the rest or they die.

there is a white paper on it somewheres. i can find it for you if you need.

I guess there's always more than one way to do it... I "bombed" my tank with 600 par and dual light cycles for a several years. 6 on 6 off. This is where it was at after it's second year. I did see an obvious increase in demand for the "big three" when I went to this.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1073870=66517-20130703_233232_14.jpg
>
1073870=66517-20130703_233232_14.jpg
class="gc-images" title="20130703_233232_14.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Seth The Wine Guy;1073870 wrote: I guess there's always more than one way to do it... I "bombed" my tank with 600 par and dual light cycles for a several years. 6 on 6 off. This is where it was at after it's second year. I did see an obvious increase in demand for the "big three" when I went to this.

THAT is interesting. while i have not tried this method, i would wonder the recovery, but ill go by your experience.

if i go beyond 8 hours light, growth significantly declines without a suitable rest period. This is sort of supported by some stuff i read. makes me want to look in to abnormal light cycles like 6 on 6 off.

im assuming you did 2 light cycles of 6 within 24 hours?

found an interesting thread on the matter. not sure if the pros outweigh the cons.

showthread.php

Russ-IV;1073885 wrote: found an interesting thread on the matter. not sure if the pros outweigh the cons.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1220656">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1220656</a>[/QUOTE]

Interesting read.

I may give this a try. There is another advantage for me that isn't discussed elsewhere that I have read. I would be able to feed my fish twice a day as opposed to once. Currently, everyone is asleep when I leave the house in the mornings and my tank is only lighted for a couple hours after coming home. If I set a 5-11am and 5-11 pm schedule, I would easily be able to feed twice a day.

my only issues are photoinhibition with symbiodinium. Another is that they are treating the coral calcification and electron transport the same way as zoox providing energy. while saturation of zoox begins at 6 hours and starts inhibiting after 8, makes me wonder if 6 hours is enough time to rest. it is still a circadian rhythm that is being manipulated after-all.
i think the circadian rhythm would be fine for symbiodinium, but what about the coral animal that is hosting it? im sure some fish will spook over it.
i think they mess with 6 on 6 off with green houses, just interesting to see how the coral responds.

while photoinhibition could take place, it may outweigh the extra time "growing".

pretty cool idea, just not too sure i'd try it.

Here is some added weight on the matter. It isnt about rest periods as much as par per time and how they react. EG: 600 or 1600 par.

a>

Back