Sponge Filters and Cleaning

catgirl29

Market
Reaction score
In my 30 gallon all-in-one, there are two sponge-like things that catch/filter the water as it circulates. Also in my sump on my 60 gallon, there's a black filter/loose sponge between the fuge and the return pump chamber.

How often do you wash or replace these types of filters? How do you wash them, if you do?

I have sponges in my pre filters, I rinse well ever other day. I am amazed at how brown the water is that gets squeezed out.

Filter floss (fabric department, quilt batting, filler) is my best friend. It can be purchased at many places including Walmart. It always sits on top of the black sponge which doesn't do all that much for me compared to filter floss. If you use the filter floss you can see when it needs changing out because it is white.
However to answer your question on the black filters, I rinse them in hot tap water until the water is clear at least weekly but that will depend on your bio load. Then I ring them in a dry towel to remove any tapwater and return them to the chamber.

JBDreefs;1065809 wrote: Do you rinse in Rodi, tap, or water change water?

I rinse mine in RODI, I have a faucet mounted on my fish room utility sink.

dball711;1065886 wrote: I rinse mine in RODI, I have a faucet mounted on my fish room utility sink.

Sure RODI is always better but is it HOT water?

Hot water dissolves that slime much better than cold :)

Camellia;1065900 wrote: Sure RODI is always better but is it HOT water?

Hot water dissolves that slime much better than cold :)

That would be nice but my RODI is not hot. I do use hot tap water to clean my protein skimmers cups for that reason, then follow with a RODI rinse.

My all in one came with a sponge that the instructions say is reusable. but it started coming apart after three month's use & 3 cleanings (hot water to clean, then flush with RODI).

For the past three years I've just relied on cut-to-fit bonded floss padding instead. Dirt cheap to buy, easy to fit & just pitch after a week's use.

If you are relying on the sponge for biological filtration - don't rinse it in anything but saltwater.

If it's just mechanical filtration (which is what most of us use them for), then hot tap water is fine, rinse the begeezus out of it, wring it out and put it back.

And if you're using the bulk floss be careful about the stuff from the fabric store/department - most of those have a fire/flame retardant on them, that could be toxic. The stuff designated for aquarium use will not have that.

Jenn

Back