SPS and Calcium Reactor

tsunami

Market
Reaction score
So does every serious SPS grower need a calcium reactor or can you do it with Seachem Complete Calcium and their reef builder?

I've got a 240g SPS system and couldn't imagine trying to does 2-part to keep up with demands. I use a Schuran 1 reactor and go through an entire chamber of media in 3 months max...

The good thing is I never have to worry about it. Every time I check, my CA is 450 or above, and my alk is 10-11. I've even started putting dolomite in the reactor to keep my magnesium levels stable as well.

Sounds like I might need to invest in one. Is the two part system better than just using seachems calcium and their alk buffer?

You either need a reactor or a good dosing pump, if your usage is low you can get away with dosing 2-part without a pump, but as your tanks ca/alk demand increases you will need to invest in a pump to avoid spikes....

A timer, aqualifter and twopart work great as a cheap solution. LiterMeter and twopart can handle all your dosing including alk and mag. In the end a Calcium Reactor is cheaper (if you calc the costs over 5 years), but you still have to deal with alk and mag. Alk is particularly an issue since Ca reactors tend to lower pH faster than just dosing two part.

Timer, aqualifter and two part sounds simple. I do two part but pour it in every day or so. No spikes. Do you just put iy in a container and use the aqualifter to move to sump? And do it on a timer a couple times a day? Does it not clog up?

Joe

I use two part with SPS with no problems. I do have to add quite a bit, but it's not bad when bought in bulk and mixed yourself. I couldn't imagine using 2 part on a huge system though, mine is a 70g and that is about as big of a system as I would want to dose 2 part in.

Cameron;96801 wrote: Alk is particularly an issue since Ca reactors tend to lower pH faster than just dosing two part.

what would pH had to do with alk that would be an issue?

jhutto;96806 wrote: Timer, aqualifter and two part sounds simple. I do two part but pour it in every day or so. No spikes. Do you just put iy in a container and use the aqualifter to move to sump? And do it on a timer a couple times a day? Does it not clog up?
Kalkwasser can clog up and likely will over time but as long as the mixture isn't exposed to the air you shouldn't see any problems other than an occasional cleaning every few months. Wouldn't hurt to check more regularly though.

what would pH had to do with alk that would be an issue?
Effluent from a reactor is usually very low in pH. This can be regulated with a multistage reactor, but most systems run a kalkwasser drip or some other buffering method to offset the lower pH being injected into the water column.

Corigan;96808 wrote: I use two part with SPS with no problems. I do have to add quite a bit, but it's not bad when bought in bulk and mixed yourself. I couldn't imagine using 2 part on a huge system though, mine is a 70g and that is about as big of a system as I would want to dose 2 part in.
Mix up two five gallon buckets, adjust your timer to drip the stuff into the tank and you likely have a few months worth even for a large tank.

Cameron;96820 wrote:
Effluent from a reactor is usually very low in pH. This can be regulated with a multistage reactor, but most systems run a kalkwasser drip or some other buffering method to offset the lower pH being injected into the water column.

I understand that, but why is that an issue with alk? flow/skimmer and other things can easily clear the co2...

You still have to dose something even though you are using a Ca Reactor. Not so much of an issue just something that has to be managed. All a Ca Reactor does is take out part of the dosing not all of it. Ca Reactors aren't a complete solution for dosing but they do take one aspect out of it which is nice but using a simple pump on a timer or even better a dosing pump can achieve a similar effect.

Cameron;96828 wrote: You still have to dose something even though you are using a Ca Reactor. Not so much of an issue just something that has to be managed. All a Ca Reactor does is take out part of the dosing not all of it. Ca Reactors aren't a complete solution for dosing but they do take one aspect out of it which is nice.

Are we agreeing alk and pH aren't an issue any more?

I am not sure what you are saying... not trying to be difficult. If you run a Ca Reactor you may have to run some form of dosing to offset the effluent going into the sump or main display (again generally speaking) as that effleunt will raise Ca but possibly lower pH and/or jack alk. Not all reactors are created equal and dual chamber reactors tend to knock out a lot of these problems, but you do have to stay on top of your params and I know a lot of systems that run a kalkwasser drip which is a form of dosing in addition to their reactor.

I ran a reactor for a few months and finally sold the thing (MRC single chamber) because my calcium demands in my tank fluctuated enough that I was dialing the reactor in every couple weeks which was a bigger pain than just dosing a couple times a week to begin with. I plan on setting up my LiterMeter soon which will get me back to no hassle calcium/alk/mag maintanance very soon. Course now that I have downsized the clams and SPS, I probably don't have such fluctuations.

Everybody that is considering doing two part should also check out this site!!

http://www.twopartsolution.com/index.php?main_page=specials">http://www.twopartsolution.com/index.php?main_page=specials</a>

It seems to be highly recommended. My tank is only 58 gallons with some SPS and LPS so I think I'm going the two part route. I still don't know if it is better to just use the Seachem products because that is kind of like two part. Does anyone have an answer? Where is Rit when you need him? : )

Membership has its priveledges. You just missed a great power buy with them sponsered through the club. The club members may still get a discount when purchasing merchandise from them but you would have to ask someone else as I am not sure.

Cameron;96857 wrote: I am not sure what you are saying... not trying to be difficult.
you stated alk is an issue, but never answered why it is an issue....

If you run a Ca Reactor you may have to run some form of dosing to offset the effluent going into the sump or main display (again generally speaking) as that effleunt will raise Ca but possibly lower pH and/or jack alk.

pH is lowered by co2 if you get the co2 out your pH comes back up, reactor produces the right amount of Ca and alk... no possibility of one going off on the other, whereas in two part you can go off... if you are not precise.... the only other issues is Mg, frankly, if you keep up with the water changes you won't need to worry about any other additions... and there are mag chips you can just add it to the reactor which will keep the effluent in proportion....

Not all reactors are created equal and dual chamber reactors tend to knock out a lot of these problems, but you do have to stay on top of your params and I know a lot of systems that run a kalkwasser drip which is a form of dosing in addition to their reactor.
All reactor are equal in principle, the second chamber is there to use up the additional CO2 that is escaping.... Frankly saving CO2 is the least of anyones concernd, it costs 20 bucks to refill a 10lbs bottle and lasts for months.... Once dialed in correctly you it will stay put for a good long time.... Kalkwasser drip isn't necessary...

I ran a reactor for a few months and finally sold the thing (MRC single chamber) because my calcium demands in my tank fluctuated enough that I was dialing the reactor in every couple weeks which was a bigger pain than just dosing a couple times a week to begin with.
It probably wasn't dialed in right.... I haven't touched my reactor in 4 months, except to watch and make sure the effluent is flowing at the right drip rate... and yes I have the MRC one... In a good growing system the only thing you need to adjust when your utility goes high (usually every month or so) is the bubble count, and if you invest in a good controller it is a breeze.... which you still will hae to do with 2-part....

I plan on setting up my LiterMeter soon which will get me back to no hassle calcium/alk/mag maintanance very soon. Course now that I have downsized the clams and SPS, I probably don't have such fluctuations.
If any serious SPS keeper want to use two part solution, They should invest in a very good dosing pump, when I checked the only thing I was ready to buy was the grotech one... you need tobe able to pump as little as 1ml at a time so you can spread it out, Once your SPS takes off 1 or 2dKh usage a day is extremly possible, B-Ionic will requite 100ml per 100gal of each part, you will have to spread it out over the day....

Using this in your top off water will be even more problematic as your top-off rate changes depending on the temp difference and flow and you will ahve to keep calculating the amount over and over...
And on top of that, you will have to account for the sodium Chloride by product which over time will increase your sg, either do water changes to nullify thisor you need to start replacing equal amount of water with No Nacl salt, doubt we even get those here....

The easiest is the reactor, that's why so many use it.... cheapest is just an added advantage.... I was on two part route for over a year, and finally decided to go the reactor route and I am glad I did....

Back