SPS bothered by Slime Coat?

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
Has anyone seen or had their SPS bothered by a fishes slime coat?
My largest Wrasse sleeps vertical against a branch (coral skeleton used in live rock display) that's got SPS frags on each side.
Everyday the slime coat is attached to an SPS and reduces that areas PE. This morning out of the clear blue, first time ever, an acro frag in this area had RTN completely.

Just wondering!

I doubt that's the fishes slime coat. I'd be willing to bet that it's slime from the coral from being irritated. It's possible that corals defense mechanism nuked the nearby coral. Just my thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnowManSnow;1030502 wrote: I doubt that's the fishes slime coat. I'd be willing to bet that it's slime from the coral from being irritated. It's possible that corals defense mechanism nuked the nearby coral. Just my thoughts

I'm about 95% sure it's fishes slime coat! Have you had wrasse? If you have and have disturbed their sleep, it's crazy the amount of slime coat they create at bed time!
Idk if mine are just lazy but they go to bed before the light go off. I feed my Sun Ciral several times a week before I go to bed and before the actinic's go off, I've got a few near where the big guy (wrasse) sleeps. Before I realized how much it irritated him I would often blow food too close to him and wake him up. He would come out as well as his slime coat, it's a lot!
A few nights ago I decided to pull out a tall rock that had a shell encrusted and a chunk of Blasto's sitting on top. I moved the Blasto's to another rock and there lie my smaller wrasse covered in slime coat in the top of the shell. It took it a few seconds to realize it was out in the open. It was fast asleep and slowly got up to confusion, I felt bad and put it back.
Wrasse are such cute, funny fish!

yeah,my mystery used to sleep right next to an acro and every morning the acro would be aggravated by the cocoon the wrasse made while sleeping.

SnowManSnow;1030502 wrote: I doubt that's the fishes slime coat. I'd be willing to bet that it's slime from the coral from being irritated. It's possible that corals defense mechanism nuked the nearby coral. Just my thoughts

A lot of wrasses create a mucus coccoon around them before they sleep. It's a defense that disguises their scent from predators.

I would think that likely would cause issue with sps if any were nearby.

Yes it gets hung up on SPS as the day goes on from the waves... IDK what to do about it tho, hate to move the SPS and hate to block of the wrasses favorite sleeping quarters...

Back