SPS dying

ZapataInc

Supporting
Reaction score
I'm having a massive die off of my stoney coral. I notice a little bit for discoloration last week. But now they are not looking good. And now this...
PXL_20200925_005554863.MP.jpg
Sorry @hzheng33 I should have let @jcook54 get the frag. I looked at it this morning before I left work and it didn't look like this. I'm sad bc everything seemed to be growing rapidly and then something happened and I don't know what. And it's just happening to my SPS. My zoa's and euphyllias, and every other coral looks great.

Parameters
pH 8.0 API
Ammonia 0 API
Nitrite 0 API
Nitrate undetectable API
Phosphates 0 Hanna UL phosphorus
Alk 8.7
Cal 410
Mag 1400

Sorry for your grief. I'm of no help here except I think that chalices are LPS?

Nitrate undetectable API

That's not gonna work
Yeah I know. I've been feeding more and even doing reef chilli. Turned my fuge schedule down. I might have to turn it down even more.

I'm having a massive die off of my stoney coral. I notice a little bit for discoloration last week. But now they are not looking good. And now this...
View attachment 31469
Sorry @hzheng33 I should have let @jcook54 get the frag. I looked at it this morning before I left work and it didn't look like this. I'm sad bc everything seemed to be growing rapidly and then something happened and I don't know what. And it's just happening to my SPS. My zoa's and euphyllias, and every other coral looks great.

Parameters
pH 8.0 API
Ammonia 0 API
Nitrite 0 API
Nitrate undetectable API
Alk 8.7
Cal 410
Mag 1400
API nitrates kit have failed me several times before, have you verified your result with other test kits? If it’s really at zero I would turn down skimmer and feed bit heavier. One thing for sure, recovery may take sometime...

This is what I’m going with. It’s a balanced ratio & both the N / P are attached to organic ligands, which prevent phosphate deposits on rock, heaters or pumps or blooms of undesirables. It requires bacterial enzymes before it’s metabolized.

Yeah I know. I've been feeding more and even doing reef chilli. Turned my fuge schedule down. I might have to turn it down even more.
In addition to what everyone one else has said I'd shut the fuge light down to an hour or two a day to help drastically slow the export for a day or two. Then ramp it up slowly from there.

I also recommend a better NO3 test kit.

Hey @bhodges82 what test kit do you use for nitrates? How often do you test? And what are you dosing to bring them up? Also do you dose phosphates?
I use the salifert kit because it shows both low and high ranges and it's simple. I use (don't shoot me) stump remover aka potassium Nitrate mixed with rodi water. You can buy potassium nitrate (kno3) that is pharmaceutical grade, but I didn't. I don't dose phosphate, but I have used seachem aquavitro products for planted tanks to raise phosphate, it doesn't take much.

Back