Square Spot swimming slightly head down

schwaggs

Supporting
Reaction score
A couple days ago, my male square spot anthias started swimming slightly head down and stopped eating. Before this, he ate like a pig. He still has lots of strength but I fear not for long if he does not start eating soon. I've had him for months so I do not think it is related to acclimation. I doubt I can catch him out of the display until he gets much weaker and slower.

Anyone have ideas what I can do?

A bit of good news and bad today, he started eating again! Not nearly as aggressively as before but a few morsels of Mysis! :) Bad news is he is still swimming slightly head down and is starting to show one telltale sign of weakening, slight depression on the forehead. I'll start dual 1/2 dose feedings of the tank starting tomorrow and watch how he eats.

Schwaggs;1115105 wrote: A bit of good news and bad today, he started eating again! Not nearly as aggressively as before but a few morsels of Mysis! :) Bad news is he is still swimming slightly head down and is starting to show one telltale sign of weakening, slight depression on the forehead. I'll start dual 1/2 dose feedings of the tank starting tomorrow and watch how he eats.

Have you ever dewormed him? Id think about getting a wormer med with fenbendazole or dosing prazipro.

jmaneyapanda;1115144 wrote: Have you ever dewormed him? Id think about getting a wormer med with fenbendazole or dosing prazipro.

I have not and should have before introducing him into the tank. Is there any food I can feed him that is a good de-wormer?

He is back to swimming and eating normally. I suspect he swallowed some air when pulling in surface floating pellets. That or he had an infection that he fought off.

Back