Stainless Steel Hinges - Buy Them!

rededge2k1

Supporting
Reaction score
I came across this picture while posting in another thread and thought I'd share it with you guys.

In the pic of my sump below you can see the benefit of paying the extra money for stainless steel hinges. The hinges on the left door are nickel plated ($13/pair), the hinges on the right are stainless steel ($30/pair). Nickel corrodes from the salty air and they have to be replaced eventually (about once a year in my case). The stainless steel hinges are also much stronger, so I was able to use one pair per door rather than two pairs.

This picture was taken after replacing the nickel hinges on the right door, for comparison:

5DIYSumpSetup.jpg
alt="" />

To this day the stainless steel hinges are still as clean as can be.

Dustin

I think that some recreational boating stores (like boaters world) have them if you're having trouble locating them locally..

RedEDGE2k1;541481 wrote:

5DIYSumpSetup.jpg
alt="" />

Has the sump always been in this orientation? I would guess that played a role too. I am not discrediting that the stainless surely holds up better to corrosion, but with the skimmer and sump flow, there is going to be a lot of atomized water and salt creep on that side of the stand, so that certainly sped the process, IMO.

Rbredding;541521 wrote: I think that some recreational boating stores (like boaters world) have them if you're having trouble locating them locally..

Assault;541528 wrote: easy to find online too

Rockler Woodworking on Roswell Road sells them locally.

Dustin

jmaneyapanda;541535 wrote: Has the sump always been in this orientation? I would guess that played a role too. I am not discrediting that the stainless surely holds up better to corrosion, but with the skimmer and sump flow, there is going to be a lot of atomized water and salt creep on that side of the stand, so that certainly sped the process, IMO.

The right door hinges looked identical to the left door hinges prior to being replaced. In fact, they were probably worse, because I didn't replace the hinges until the right door snapped in half from the stress of prying open corroded hinges (I had to replace the door itself, too).

Dustin

RedEDGE2k1;541539 wrote: The right door hinges looked identical to the left door hinges prior to being replaced. In fact, they were probably worse, because I didn't replace the hinges until the right door snapped in half from the stress of prying open corroded hinges (I had to replace the door itself, too).

Dustin

Interesting. I had some hose clamps in a similar situation, and the one exposed to more "spray" (theoretically) has had to be relaced 3 times, while the other "drier" one is still strong. But, I cant argue with your observations.

Would a lite coat of mineral oil, or petroleum jelly expand the life of the non-stainless hinges?

elFloyd;541593 wrote: Would a lite coat of mineral oil, or petroleum jelly expand the life of the non-stainless hinges?

I never tried petroleum jelly, but for the first couple of weeks I did keep them lubed with silicone plumber's grease. I didn't think it was worth the trouble and eventually stopped bothering....it was impossible to get grease around the guts of the hinge to properly coat them. Once I discovered stainless hinges, my mind was set that I would be replacing my old nickel hinges, it was just a matter of when.

Dustin

Boeshield T9 available at West Marine. I have used it on offshore boats for years does a great job of protecting against saltwater.

grouper therapy;541598 wrote: Boeshield T9 available at West Marine. I have used it on offshore boats for years does a great job of protecting against saltwater.

That's spray stuff though, right? I wouldn't want to use it around my sump for fear of contamination.

Dustin

RedEDGE2k1;541602 wrote: That's spray stuff though, right? I wouldn't want to use it around my sump for fear of contamination.

Dustin

No Dustin not in the sump on the hinges:unsure: I use a clip type hinge where as the hinge unclips from the plate and all the moving parts are taken away from the stand then sprayed. Most euro hinge clips are just a flat plate and can be wiped down with a rag sprayed with the lubricate.

grouper therapy;541609 wrote: No Dustin not in the sump on the hinges:unsure: I use a clip type hinge where as the hinge unclips from the plate and all the moving parts are taken away from the stand then sprayed. Most euro hinge clips are just a flat plate and can be wiped down with a rag sprayed with the lubricate.

Ha...yeah I'm with you, not in the sump. :)

Back