Stand? ?

johniii

Market
Reaction score
The stand I have for my 225 is missing 1 door. The door is a piece of birch ply but the kicker is it is supposed to be curved inward.

My question is how do I curve a piece of 3/4 birch? How do I make it stay that way?

Its at my folks house in my shop. Can't get pics till the weekend.

The door is just bowed about 1/2" on a from side to side. It is concave. The middle convex. Then the other side is concave also. So it makes kind of a wave shape when all three doors are on it.

Got ya, I'll make you one for fun if you are not in any hurry. Does the other door fit on the other side? If so, I will need that for a template. What kind of finish is on it? Is it a true radius? Have you tried to call the manufacturer?

Jaycen B.;779824 wrote: Got ya, I'll make you one for fun if you are not in any hurry. Does the other door fit on the other side? If so, I will need that for a template. What kind of finish is on it? Is it a true radius? Have you tried to call the manufacturer?

Yes the other door will fit. It is stained and polyurethane but I am going to redo it because it is too light for my liking. I don't know the manufacter looks custom. I believe it is a true radius bend so if I had a cylinder and a steam machine I'd be good to go.

I do believe that you will not be able to steam 3/4 ply with any success. That will have to be glued up in layers on a form. Regular ply will not hold up to the moisture of the steam.

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman"><span style="font-size: 13px"> </span></span>

JohnIII;779811 wrote: The stand I have for my 225 is missing 1 door. The door is a piece of birch ply but the kicker is it is supposed to be curved inward.

My question is how do I curve a piece of 3/4 birch? How do I make it stay that way?

You'll have to make a form to fit the curve/radius, and then glue sheets of 1/8" bending birch plywood in a stack and clamp them to the form. When the glue is dry, and removed from the form, it will hold it's shape with just a little bit of spring-back. Be sure to fabricate the form in a way that will allow you to run the whole assembly over a table saw, to cut the edges of the door in a straight line rip.

Dustin

RedEDGE2k1;780129 wrote: You'll have to make a form to fit the curve/radius, and then glue sheets of 1/8" bending birch plywood in a stack and clamp them to the form. When the glue is dry, and removed from the form, it will hold it's shape with just a little bit of spring-back. Be sure to fabricate the form in a way that will allow you to run the whole assembly over a table saw, to cut the edges of the door in a straight line rip.

Dustin

I got ya. Can this form be made out of radius 1x4. Say every 4 inches. I can trace the radius of the other door and cut the 1x4s with a bandsaw. Then screw the flat sides down to some straight lumber.

Thank both of you for your help

Depending on the radius 1/4" plywood may work, I used it it on this radius.
There are glues designed for laminating that do not allow as much springback.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
780165=38388-Falconite home 008.jpg
>
780165=38388-Falconite home 008.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Falconite home 008.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Ok I had an idea. If I took the good door I have and cut some 1/8 spacers for it I could use it for a mold. I am just gonna put some spacers on the outer edge to take up the spring back. How long should I leave it clamped for.

Dang , that's what I like about this site!! we have Carpenters/Electricians/Plumbers/Photographers/Gunsmiths, ETC it never ends , You get more than REEF Support!!

I am going to attempt to form a door this weekend. And get the stand stained. Will post pics when I get it done

Back