Starry Triggerfish

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
p_90170starry_triggerfish.jpg
alt="" />

Saw http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1861&articleid=3173">this trigger</a> at Aquarium Showcase/Alpharetta today. What a cool fish!! If I had a 125+ gallon FOWLR, he'd have gone home with me.

Also... Found my juvy clarkii at the same store at an excellent price. Loren says I could save myself some trouble by just putting a $20 bill into my tank and letting my large female clarkii rip it to bits, but I've got my fingers crossed for the best.....

Great service today at Aquarium Showcase also. Thanks, guys!

best store i have been to, service wise. cap bay is best, visual wise.

I'm with Loren...... That's one pissy lil clarkii if its the one I'm thinking of.....

Keep us updated on how this addition fares out...

How much was the Starry trigger? I will buy him if he is reasonable.

those triggers get NASTY and grow big. Know what youre getting into.

jmaneyapanda;97874 wrote: those triggers get NASTY and grow big. Know what youre getting into.

Thanks for the heads up.Even though my 500 will be a semi-aggressive tank I dont want something that will be too aggressive and harm my other fish.I plan on having a pair of Crosshatches and dont want anything to happen to them.

46bfinga;97844 wrote: How much was the Starry trigger? I will buy him if he is reasonable.

He was under $40 (thirty-something) and would be even less with the discount. Had mega personality and was eating well.

The guy we saw was very small, but yes, they get BIG. I've done some reading about the starry and what I have seen doesn't peg him as any more or less aggressive than other triggers.

Dakota9;97840 wrote: I'm with Loren...... That's one pissy lil clarkii if its the one I'm thinking of.....

Keep us updated on how this addition fares out...

Yep, your ex-clarkii is a Witch-With-A-B. I'm considering treating my tank with some extra-strength Midol.

Linda Lee;97926 wrote: He was under $40 (thirty-something) and would be even less with the discount. Had mega personality and was eating well.

The guy we saw was very small, but yes, they get BIG. I've done some reading about the starry and what I have seen doesn't peg him as any more or less aggressive than other triggers.

They are in the same family as queen triggers, which are also quite nasty. I once met a guy who had his thumb bitten off by a adult queen trigger that was protecting its nest. 46bfinga, Im sending you a PM.

jmaneyapanda;97954 wrote: They are in the same family as queen triggers, which are also quite nasty. I once met a guy who had his thumb bitten off by a adult queen trigger that was protecting its nest. 46bfinga, Im sending you a PM.

I'm fairly new to the hobby and know very little, so I'm always receptive of links while I'm doing research. Please share.

What I've read is that the Queen Triggerfish is one of four (some say five) fishes in the genus http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/triggers/balistes/index.htm">Balistes</a></em>[/B]. This family is considered to be quite mean.

The Starry Trifferfish is [IMG]http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/triggers/index.htm">[I][B]Abalistes stellatus[/B]</em></a> and from what I've read is not grouped with the Queen.

Please share some links, if you would. Although I do read *aggression* in much of my research about these guys I can't find anything more than the typical triggerfish agression.

Thanks!

I'd have to say that Starry triggers are very different from Queen triggers, whose level of aggression is legendary. The Queens get meaner as they grow older and bigger and often needs a species specific tank... or more commonly they create their own species specific tank!

Starry triggers do get large, but I don't think they are any more aggressive than other triggers. From what I've read they get along fine with other fish so long as they don't fit in their mouths. That's the general rule for all triggers... Anyways, my friend had a starry in his FO and it had a lot of personality and was very friendly. He would feed it by hand, and the lil guy would actually "grunt" in anticipation of the treat. It cracked me up, and was one of the reasons I wanted a trigger for my tank...

One thing to keep in mind though is that you really get a wide range of personality with each individual triggerfish even those of the same species. So I understand that Jeremy might've run into a really mean starry. My blue throat trigger, which is widely considered reef-safe, had to go because he was doing a queen trigger impersonation! Yet I wouldn't mind trying another trigger some day just because they are one of the most interesting and beautiful family of fishies available.

Linda Lee;98032 wrote: I'm fairly new to the hobby and know very little, so I'm always receptive of links while I'm doing research. Please share.

What I've read is that the Queen Triggerfish is one of four (some say five) fishes in the genus http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/triggers/balistes/index.htm">Balistes</a></em>[/B]. This family is considered to be quite mean.

The Starry Trifferfish is [IMG]http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/triggers/index.htm">[I][B]Abalistes stellatus[/B]</em></a> and from what I've read is not grouped with the Queen.

Please share some links, if you would. Although I do read *aggression* in much of my research about these guys I can't find anything more than the typical triggerfish agression.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
Linda,

You're absolutely correct. I was thinking of golden heart triggers, not starrys. That was my mistake. But, nonetheless, a trigger is a trigger, but these are not as nasty as I was thinking. My bad.

Well maybe I will buy one then.Ill call up there and see if they still have it. They do look similar but the starry is way cheaper.

This specific trigger had more personality than any trigger I've seen to date.

This includes the Clown that liked to be petted at the pet store in Hiram.

This breed of trigger does indeed make a grunting noise from what I have read. I just bought a Niger which is cool as can be but if my tank was not full of tasty morsels this starry would be in my tank NOW.

Seedless Reefer;98088 wrote: This specific trigger had more personality than any trigger I've seen to date.

This includes the Clown that liked to be petted at the pet store in Hiram.

This breed of trigger does indeed make a grunting noise from what I have read. I just bought a Niger which is cool as can be but if my tank was not full of tasty morsels this starry would be in my tank NOW.

Your mild-mannered niger was looking all fat 'n happy when I got home from work today.... you must be feeding him well.

By the by... how's your pistol shrimp? Haven't seen him in awhile.

:D

That pistol shrimp would spank that trigger.

I have not however seen any peppermints in a day or so.

Seedless Reefer;98381 wrote: That pistol shrimp would spank that trigger.

I would pay to see that. I think I would put my money on the triggerfish.:yes:

Back