Starting a tank with Base Rock

russ

Market
Reaction score
I am starting up my tank this week. I am using rock from a previous system. it is dry and has been setting for years. I know I can get a rock from another system of LFS to seed is, but is it necessary? Is bacteria still on the rock, but dormant and when water & ammonia are present it will start to activate again?

yes you need to seed it. There is not any bacteria on the dead rock..

Just did this. If it is dead already, I would recommend soaking in water and vinegar for several days. Then scrub with a brush to get rid of all the crud you can. Then set up the tank with Saltwater and use Stability per the directions. This worked great for me.

So if I have 700 gal.

Day 1 - 70 caps full - 350ml
Day 2 - 8 35 Caps Full * 7 - 1225

That is 3 large bottles of Stability. Does that sound right?

Did you use any live sand or all dry?

Ok, I am going to start my tank, seed with live rock, add live sand and wait.

If you follow my build thread you will know I'm in no hurry LOL. I guess I'm old school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that escalated quickly.... He said 700 gallons

I know... My system is a little silly. I don't know what I was thinking when I built it. Actually I do, and there may have been some crack smoking involved. Kidding of course.

i wanna see this tank... will bring beer!. haha
Chris

You can start it with dry rock and stability. Stability contains the bacteria usually found in live rock. I've seen man success stories as such.

You can also just use raw shrimp. Just let it float in your tank till you seenyour levels spike then take them out.

You Dont need to add anything live unless you want to. I've always used dried everything and cooked my rock for a while so nothing leeched and gave them vinegar bath . You also won't get any unwanted pest with dry rock.

With 700 gallons you may want to start with a case of shrimp. Hehehehe. Maybe call a ball player from down south. I hear they are good at getting cheap cases of seafood. :)

"Hello, Jameis... Open your freezer... I need 2 lbs of crab legs and 1 lbs of crawfish by Wednesday."

You definitely want to get a good amount of LR to get things rolling with such a large volume of water imo...

I don't have a ton of live rock, but it's all I have. I'm sure it will work its self out. I did add 140lbs of live sand too.

Got any ammonia? I have a bottle of the Ace pure ammonia. Dose a little of that and that live rock will seed the rest pretty quickly.

Back