Starting a tank with Base Rock

I tested yesterday .and I was at .04. I'll test tomorrow and let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started using only bleached dead rock in my tanks . Just dose with pure ammonia from ace hardware. After you ebb perimeters are good get a scraping of crystalline and ballgame and a bottle of pods and enjoy your pest free rocks.

MarkL;1005708 wrote: I started using only bleached dead rock in my tanks . Just dose with pure ammonia from ace hardware. After you ebb perimeters are good get a scraping of crystalline and ballgame and a bottle of pods and enjoy your pest free rocks.

This is exactly what I thought. If I would have got this 3 days ago I may have went with it, but I added about 10-15 lbs of live rock from a friends tank and a Jar of media from the LFS (By The Way the guys at pure reef are good peeps). I don't think there will be anything I regret though.

I put a couple shrimp in my sump and some live sand. This morning my ammonia is between 1.2 & 2. Is there a target number I want to get to and sustain for a while before I remove the shrimp? Should add some ammonia to get those numbers up or wait it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always heard that when your tank can go from 4ppm ammonia to 0 with 0 nitrite in 24 hours you are good to go. As with everything in this hobby, that is a rule of thumb and all thumbs are different sizes. :)

Back