Stocking question

PJs_Bucket_List

Market
Reaction score
I'd like to get a Diamond goby, Flametail blenny, and a Fire fish. Would they get along, or are they too similar and will have issues? Does anyone have experience with keeping these fish together?

I've never kept Blennies but i expect all would be ok together. But I believe Diamond Gobies need large well established sand beds, I've heard numerous cases of them perishing in new tanks. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Granted I'm new to all of this, but I've been doing a good bit of reading and have a theory about that. Totally agree with the established sand bed being necessary. They spend a lot of time sifting the sand in search of food (pods), which isn't available in a new tank. And they are often so focused on their sand sifting they miss out on feeding time. I've read that you have to feed them individually, and stay with the tank to make sure they get the food and it's not snatched up by other fish. So yeah, that's probably a "later on down the line" fish for me.

Really also depends on the tank size you have. If you don't have a mature sand bed, you might consider a Buan's Sleeper Goby. They're s somewhat smaller than diamond gobies and will perform the same service of sifting sand. Petco by the Mall of GA tends to get them fairly often and I believe they are captive-bred.

So all of the "Watchman" gobies are basically the same? Wheeler's, yellow, Pink bar... all require a mature sand bed and healthy, established pod population? Are all the "shrimp" gobies the same way? It's really confusing to new hobbyists, and unfair to the fish, that they're listed as "beginner" fish wherever they're sold.

Just a thought: would adding a few lbs of live sand from a place like Tampa Bay Saltwater help "mature" my sand bed faster? What do y'all think? I want to get one of their Treasure Chests for the biodiversity, so if it helps with that it's an added bonus.

I've been reading up on them, and everything I read, from a variety of sites (forums and not), says that they eat the food you feed them like other fish do. That they don't need a mature sand bed to survive. (Unlike fish like mandarins that usually need an active pod population.)

Here's a good discussion from people who have owned them:

I've been reading up on them, and everything I read, from a variety of sites (forums and not), says that they eat the food you feed them like other fish do. That they don't need a mature sand bed to survive. (Unlike fish like mandarins that usually need an active pod population.)

Here's a good discussion from people who have owned them:
Thanks so much for this. As I said, it's a confusing topic with conflicting information. I've seen them recommended everywhere for beginners, but then experienced hobbyists are sharing their own experiences with keeping them, or rather, not having any success with keeping them. To me, that's more reliable than the stores or businesses trying to make a sale. I really want to get one, and I will, but it'll be a little while. I'm just now getting ready to add the first livestock to my tank. Hopefully, with being patient and taking my time adding more livestock, by the time I get a Watchman, my tank will be able to sustain it. I really appreciate everyone's input on this. This group has been incredibly helpful. Thanks y'all!

Back