Stocktank Outdoor Pond

jd22

Market
Reaction score
Hey All,

I don't really have the landscape to dig a koi pond in the backyard but I have seen these steel stock tanks which come in various sizes, has anyone done one for before or have any advice? Seems like this would work as a goldfish/planted type tank and could look really nice. Any issues with the goldfish being above ground over winter or if it's 2 feet deep that's still fine.

Thanks!

I have TVRs in a 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank. They stay outside all winter with no issues but you should cover the tank with netting to prevent predation.

Thanks. I think I'm going to try it. Looks like the steel ones need a nice coating of liquid rubber to help with leaks but mainly to prevent any metal poisoning.

The one thing I would be concerned with is the temp, both in winter and the summer. Koi ponds that are in the ground have that ground to regulate the temp some. One above ground will be bound by the air temp much more. I hope someone with more experience with Koi will chime in. You could also call around and ask some of the pond companies in town and see what info they can give you.

I picked up a food grade ibc tote to make into an aquaponics system. The tank cost me $60, pump $20, the expanded clay media was $120. Been running for 2.5 years through winters. Stock for the first 2 years was 25+ goldfish and a 10 inch koi. Had a vulture take my first koi . Now the stock is just 4 koi ranging from 4" to 10"
IMG_20170714_190848525.jpg
IMG_20190514_154523.jpg

Lol no it's a seed starting tray wrapped in cellophane. At first I was wondering what that was too

Yeah I agree on the temperature but sounds like Doberman has had some success.

Yeah I agree on the temperature but sounds like Doberman has had some success.

We’ve had mild winters lately. As long as it doesn’t freeze over you should be ok. I wouldn’t keep koi in them long term although it is possible.
I have 2 300-gallon stock tanks plumbed into my main pond. They were originally integrated in as a QT system but I haven’t purchased any koi lately so currently they are running as a flow through and housing Ranchu.

Attachments

• 7D4FE9E2-40EB-470C-BD88-7C8F41624498.jpeg
    7D4FE9E2-40EB-470C-BD88-7C8F41624498.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 17
  • C3BAA554-71ED-4515-B459-EA3DB00AE351.jpeg
    C3BAA554-71ED-4515-B459-EA3DB00AE351.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 13EEF74B-6923-4BF6-BB2E-B08BB542D454.jpeg
    13EEF74B-6923-4BF6-BB2E-B08BB542D454.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 17
@Doberman13 & @Rainblood

What about heat in the summer? Would a black stock tank, above ground and in the sun get hotter than ambient air temps?
I just see 105 degree water after a few days in mid-July.

Right. I don't think I'd keep any koi but some of their smaller brethren.

Well the good news is the location will be on the edge of a deck so it won't be subject to beating sun all day. Mostly morning sun.

You should be fine it you aren't overstocked and aerate well. And obviously have adequate filtration.
I'd be more concerned with the container itself - whether it'll hold water, leach chemicals, etc.

I have had my aquaponics system freeze over but as long as you keep adequate water movement and you break the ice every few days they have been fine. This system isn't going to be a long term solution for these koi, we have been looking at moving into a bigger house for kids in the future. I'll be digging out a koi pond at the next house. I've never recorded temperatures over 79 even on the hottest days.

I have had my aquaponics system freeze over but as long as you keep adequate water movement and you break the ice every few days they have been fine. This system isn't going to be a long term solution for these koi, we have been looking at moving into a bigger house for kids in the future. I'll be digging out a koi pond at the next house. I've never recorded temperatures over 79 even on the hottest days.
Are you on Koiphen?

I am not this is the first I'm hearing of it. I thought about join the Atlanta Koi club but was out of town for their expo

@Doberman13 & @Rainblood

What about heat in the summer? Would a black stock tank, above ground and in the sun get hotter than ambient air temps?
I just see 105 degree water after a few days in mid-July.

My system only gets morning and early afternoon sun then it is blocked by the house. It probably helps that I have it wrapped in scrap fence boards and that the grow bed covers 60% of the top of the tank. From what I have seen I haven't had any water temps above 79.

Back