Strange readings!

dave green

Market
Reaction score
My paramaters have been good with no cause for alarm for quite a while...

Two days ago, everything checked out perfect.

Tonight, though, I checked and I've got all kinds of salt creep, my skimmer cup has filled with nothing, the anemone and sea apple are scooting around the tank, and I've got these readings:

Nitrate 35
Nitrite 0
Alkalinity >300
pH 8.4
Amm 2
Specific Gravity 1.027
Temperature 75

Inside the 55gal tank: live rock, caulerpa prolifera (some turning red and clear), chaeto, sea grapes, cleaner and coral banded shrimp, serpent stars, 6-legged magenta star and a 6-line. Water levels are normal.

This is very strange.

Any ideas / suggestions? (the sea apple stays!!!).

Water change scheduled for Sunday.

If your seeing ammonia and nitrate readings that high you've got a serious problem on your hands...

First, I don't know what to make of your Alk reading--I'm used to seeing it in dKh--is that a mistake?

Second--is your heater working, is it big enough, and do you usually keep your tank that cool? I'm not saying 75 is lethal but a rapid change can be. What is your normal tank temp?

To me, there are still a number of possibilities, but I woud definitely be gearing up for a series of water changes. I would be checking on that apple every 10 minutes if I were you. Your tank is clearly distressed about something. Have you made any changes at all lately?

yet again, couldn't stop myself from looking. change your water immediately, 50% if you can.

perhaps slightly off topic to mention but...
Knowing what standard your specific gravity is measured on may be helpful... Especially in your case with a "low" temperature and high SG.
Your actual specific gravity could be well over 1.028

Skimmate production can be impacted by temperature and salinity as well...

My initial thought when NH3 and NO3 appear is that something that was once alive... is no longer. Missing any livestock?

I also recommend a WC asap... couldnt hurt anything :)

I Think One Of You Guys In Marietta Need To Go And Check Davids Tank Problems Seems Like Hes Mssing Something Here And Its One Problem After The Next Dont Mean To Discourage You But Something Isnt Right For Your Tank To Keep Changeing And Dieing Of The Way It Does Hope All Works Out If You Were Closer I Would Grab All My Test Kits And Go And Check For You Good Luck
Victor

My schedule is tight at the moment but I will try to call you and arrange a visit when I can.....

Do a 30-50% water change. Do 10% every 5 days. Make sure the water is perfect. Also make sure the water is temparature matched to the tank.

Change the test kit.

Your live rock may be old and leaching bad stuff. If I am correct I remember you saying this was a fish only tank for a while and you have used the same live rock.

Your temp needs to be 78

Luckily, I don't discourage easily...

In Chinese, the word "crisis" is built from symbols for "danger" & "opportunity." The danger: Keep doing what I've been doing with what I've got and get the same results.

Maybe this is an opportunity to pull everything out, give the livestock to someone can give them good home, clean up & restart with new live sand, water, rock, caulerpa & replace my heater/chiller (which I think bit the dust a few days ago).

Ideas?

Back