Stray Voltage

braselton4

Market
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm sure this has come up in the past but with my recent event I felt the need to get it going again. To shorten it up I will just tell you that my Kole Tang has Lateral Line Erosion and I have struggled keeping Corals healthy. After exhausting all other options I was asked to test for stray voltage in my tank. After getting my multimeter out I discovered that I had 35 volts running through my tank constantly. Through further discovery, I found out that just about every piece of equipment I have was releasing stray voltage. I was given a Grounding Probe which I immediately put in and all stray voltage was gone. Now, I know that people are going to have all sorts of opinions and theories but please, only respond with actual findings and studies. As for me, I will be taking weekly photos of my fish and corals to see if the probe helps. I will also be doing the same to a few friends tanks to try and get a broad study done. My first goal is to find out if any level of Stray voltage is acceptable. I personally do not think it is natural so none should be acceptable. I am also going to see how fast the LLE will repair itself and if the coral growth rate increases.

I'm following not as bad I only have 6 volts from brand new Mag 5 but I still feel with ground probe

Many may disagree with me but I bet you actually do not have a stray voltage problem. My guess is that the quality of the meter you are using, the method of testing and the properties of electrolysis are the cause of your readings. A tank full of moving salt water sitting under induction lighting is basically a large battery.

In addition, the ground probe has not stopped the stray voltage (if there is any) but only directed it to a ground path. That means it is now flowing through the tank and everything in it. Voltage does not harm you. Current, the flow of electricity, is what does the damage.

Am I qualified to make these statements? 35 years in the electrical field. You decide. :)

Just my 2 cents. Or a buck and a quarter as the case may be. :)

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

I hear you rdnelson99 and I do understand that it is not gone but given a path out. I do know that I did not just use some cheap "Harbor Freight" multimeter either. I am not worried about the voltage harming me but the fish and corals. As I said before, I Have a Kole Tang that has very noticeable LLE. I will allow him to be my proof on this working. I do challenge you to this though. Please take your meter and test your tank. First with everything running then turn everything off and plug stuff in one by one. If there is a better than just grounding one probe and placing the other in the water then please tell.

I would except I no longer have a tank. Do a search and you will see this was done before. Another electrical contractor and I tested both our tanks. His with a probe mine without. I believe the findings will surprise you. In addition I would say that I think you could read "Stray" voltage in almost any tank. Are you on a gfi receptacle? You should be. That alone will prove or disprove the stray voltage myth. A GFI will trip if there is a 5 mili-amp imbalance between hot and neutral. If you have stray voltage it will be more than a 5 mili-amp imbalance.

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

Back