Stuck between AI prime and Kessil a160

billyocean

Supporting
Reaction score
I have a jbj 28 pro led. The ballast has gone bad (its now flickering after about 20 minutes running.) I have done a ton of research on both the AI and the Kassil..just torn between the two. Any thoughts/experience with either?

I should mention that my tank is controlled with a reef keeper lite plus. That is in case controllability is an issue.

I like ai better. Their app interface works great, recommend!

I have 2 AI Prime HDs over a 100g sump (temp tank).  My soft corals are doing great and are happy. My SPS didn’t do so well when I switched over to the AIs from the black boxes. Maybe 6 months ago. I can’t blame the AIs bc it could have been water parameters or other issues. BUT they would be plenty powerful enough for your setup. Some of my hard corals are showing signs they are recovering  I thought they were completely dead.

I find them difficult to program so I’m not completely happy with them. And I don’t believe you can control them from your RKL. But the price was right for me at the time I purchased them.

Good luck!

I've got a 360 on a 40g and a 360 with other LEDs on a 140g. I'd suggest the 360 rather than the 160 for the 28g.. I also use an 80 on a 5g. I've only ever used the Kessil and I really like them.

Went with the AI prime hd. Controllability is excellent and I am extremely satisfied so far. Currently running the acclimation mode and have even tuned that down some to see how corals respond. It's definitely more light than the LED pro hood so just taking my time. I made an egg crate (light baffle) top for the now open tank, will look for other options as it seems to block a decent amount of light into the tank.

Thanks for the input!

What netting and what for bracing? I was thinking the egg crate outer frame could be used for bracing after dremeling the inner part off. Any ideas appreciated

Bulk Reef Supply Clear 1/4" Netting

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/clear-netting.html

Lowe's Screen Kit

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Saint-Gobain-ADFORS-Frame-Kit-Screen-Replacement-Kit/3092635

I have a kessil and the shimmer is too unnatural for my taste.  I would go AI or radion gen 4 pro

Back