stupid question

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
ok here goes i know that fish get ich but i was wondering if there were any other animals that could be in my tank that could host ich i know fish can ,but was wondering could a clam anemo.,starfish or anything else in they tank get it . i know and heard that you can transfer ich threw any of these but can ich live in this ,reason being is becase i have ich in my tank and am going to take all my fish out for qt and waite about 2 months before i put them back in but in clean health ,but dont want to keep anything in the tank that will host ich cause then it would defeat the purpose of qt my fish thanks .victor

Nope, no other things can "Host" ich... Leave everything else in there except the fish.

cool all i needed to know im going to have two deffrent qt one for all the fish a 29 gal and one for the chromis that i dont see anywere right at the moment i have filters and heaters now just need meds .even though the other fish do look healthy but still had ich when first introduced ..going to fresh water dipp for 30 min and to qt they go

Brandon,

I woke up last night after a very weird dream </em>(I'll spare you the details!) anyway, I read your aticle on ich (that you had linked in Blind's thread on the subject).
In that article, you suggest that at atleast one phase of the Ich lifecycle, it is possible for corals to host the Ich parasite.
Now, does that only apply to new aquisitions that you add to the tank? I read Victor's question as "could his exsisting corals host the parasite in a fishless tank", but just wanted to clarify as for the first time in 15yrs I suspect I might have visible ich in my tank via a new aquisition.

Thanks for clarification
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brandon for President!

Dakota9;80405 wrote: Brandon,

I woke up last night after a very weird dream </em>(I'll spare you the details!) anyway, I read your aticle on ich (that you had linked in Blind's thread on the subject).
In that article, you suggest that at atleast one phase of the Ich lifecycle, it is possible for corals to host the Ich parasite.
Now, does that only apply to new aquisitions that you add to the tank? I read Victor's question as "could his exsisting corals host the parasite in a fishless tank", but just wanted to clarify as for the first time in 15yrs I suspect I might have visible ich in my tank via a new aquisition.

Thanks for clarification

Hey Dakota,
Ya I think I need to go back and change the wording of "host" to something else. Lets see if I can put into words ar 4:00am what I mean. When a fish has Ich, you see the last part of the life cycle, the one that gives your fish the white spots. That is the end stage. from there the cycle starts over again. That white spot falls off, normally at night, and comes to rest in the sand or in your live rock. now if I take that live rock or sand (or coral attached to that rock) and move it to another tank, when that "egg" hatches the new tank will have free swimming Ich looking for a host. Do you follow me so far?

To take the hypothetical one step more and answer the question about hermits and what not "carrying" Ich. In theory, if one of thos "eggs" because lodged in a hermit schell you COULD run the same risk with hermits. Or if there is water with a "free floating stage" ich bug in the hermit shell, once introduced into the new tank and allowed to be released, you could spread the bug from place to place.

Now I will be the first to admit, this is mainly based on theory, with one exception. It has been proven that Ich can very easily be spread from tank to tank via "live sand". But the rest of it is a bit of a snowballs chance.

What precausions do I tank? Well I am glad you asked! I "rinse" my hermits and snails in a large bowl of saltwater, I feel like if I can get that junk flushed out a but I will be safer. (On a side note, last time I did it, I found a whole bunch of critters living in that shell with that hermit that I did not want in my tank, so that batch of hermits went into QT till I could sort it out. As for corals, they all get a dip in Pro Coral Cure. No that will not kill Ich as far as I know but it kills about everything else. While my corals are dipping, if they are on a rock I make sure that I take a turkey baster flush out every nook and cranny. Not only should this remove any sand and "eggs" but also makes sure that the iodine in the pro coral cure can get deep into the rock where that zoa eating nudi might be hiding. After that I give it a good rinse and another flushing out with normal saltwater. If for any reason I fear that the coral might have come from a tank infested with Ich or flatworms, It might make a stop in a QT tank just to give it a good once over look. (Mainly for nudis and flatworms) Other then that, everything else gets a QT stop that goes into my tank, yes that includes clams.

So back to your original point, can corals carry Ich? No not themselves but if a "egg" lands in your maze brain and gets transported or it is sitting in that rock you bring the xenia over on, then yes, in theory you can spread it.

Hey, I just saw this post, and I think I am having an Ich problem, I don't know if it is from the Xenia I got, but anyway, what's the best treatment for this stuff? I do have ICH treatment, I don't know if it's ok for salt water fish, it might be, but will it harm my Xenia and Zoas and Hermits?

I'll go look for the bottle and read, if it does, will it be ok to remove the fish, treat them separate, then re-introduce them to the tank, or is it better to remove the Crabs and treat tehm in the tank?

Can Xenia host ICH? they are the only things I've recently added to my tank, but before that I didn't have any problem.........

I'm going to try Garlic from the long article I read, and also quarantine my fish and treat them separately..........

Hope it works.

Ngure,

1) You ALWAYS want to treat outside of your main display tank. 2) Not all treatments are created equal nor are they safe for all fish. Best to know what you are planning on using and researching it before hand.

3) Chances are, your xenia had NOTHING to do with your current Ich. More then likely, your fish have had it for a while and only recently have you noticed it or recently it has decided to flare up.

Thanks Xy, this is what happens when a n00bie jumps into something without doing much research, on the article I read from an ARC member, he warned of the dangers of buying fish and just adding them in the tank, never knew about Qt tanks, anyway, next time I buy a fish, he goes in QT before I add them in my tanks.

Anyway, a costly mistake ($13 *sniff, sniff*)..............but I bet I would be alot more troubled if it was $400, so I think I'll start taking the precautionary route from now on.

On a positive note, the fresh water Dip helped remove I'd say about 75-90% of the parasites that were on my Fox face (hardest hit) and my Scorpas, I can't tell too well because after the recent violation, they aren't too trusting, so when they see me they bolt, they had just began to like me too........

I really need to read the books Bleeding told me to read..............

what's with the new identity...........funny.

Anyway, Kudos Xy a.k.a Brandon, I'll be refrencing your article for some major changes to take place soon...................

game dont feel bad some of us know each other by our real names yourll get to know us by them as well especially since it seems you'll be sticking around ..my name is victor by the way

Call me Rebo, you can try pronouncing my first name, but you'll have bettery lack reviving my dead Beauty............

Can't feel bad, it was a learning experience, and the lesson was "DON'T CHEAP OUT!!!"..........the problem with some Mechanics is that they always use their cheap approach to fixing cars on other things, I've saved my self tons of cash knowing where to get cheap parts, what to buy new and used, and which salvage yard to go to, but it doesn't work too well on Salt water fish.

Next time I'll be more carefull, better to learn now than when I've got my hands on a 180Gal set up and lose $500 worth of fish..............

500 Is Nothing There Are People Here That Have Lost 10,000 Dollars Is Live Stock It Happens You Just Have To Learn From It

yeah, if I lost 10,000 worth of stock, this will be me........

when I walk in: :eek:

once I start processing the info: :wow2:

once it sink in: :yikes:

fully aware of what happened::bash2::bash2::bash2::bash2::bash2::bash2::bash2:...........literally

after my brain inteprets the loss in $$$: :ahh:

after I've been fully treated for my head wounds and brain trauma, passed a full Psyciatric evaluation: :mad3:

And that will be the end of me and nemo...........

By the way, I've got a feedback on the fish now that they are comfortable with me again............ it looks like the Ich on them is gone and they seem fine, I would like to add I did something I would not necesarily advise anyone to do, but I used Ich treatment for fresh water fish which had the Malachite green (I think that's what it is) instead of the blue.

I can't say if it is responsible for the treatment or the death, but I do know the two have ne more Ich on them, might be just the fresh water or the combination..............just glad they are doing fine and eating.

Hey Rebo,

Ya what you got is most likely Malachite Green. You can not find it much anymore thanks to the FDA and what not. It was a "treatment" back in the day and had mixed reviews. I have done some testing with it and have had some positive results. Like most treatments, it is very harsh and you need to make sure you understand how to dose and when and never dose in the main tank! (I know, you will read that M. Green is "reef safe" but I would not put that claim to the test if I were you. IMHO, there are better treatments out there depending on the fish you are trying to treat but there are alot that are worse then M. Green too.

Thanks for reading my article, glad someone has ;) , and if you have any questions, I will be more then happy to answer anything that I can.

Actually, it is NOT REEF Safe, well the bottle said so, maybe the stuff in it's pure self is, I set up a separate tank where I treated them with fresh water and the stuff, then put them in a QT tank which they seem to be very comy in. Infact, they have turned into gluttons, eating 3 times as much as when I bought them last week, but as long as they are healthy, I'm happy.

game i wouldnt feed them as much unless you plan on doing frequent wter changes remember the water is not cycled so there isnt enought bacteria to break down the waste .i hope your not useing the water from your display .cause it would probably still be infected with ich

Back