Suggestions wanted..What would your livestock list be?

olds350racer

Market
Reaction score
After my experience of my pseudochromis owning my 55g, I decided to really think out my 65g before I add the first fish. The tank is a mixed reef w/inverts and is about 100g total volume. So, if it were you, what would your livestock list be?

I have a single Sunburst anthias and also a trio of Bartletts anthias. I have had the Sunburst for over a year and really enjoy it. Very peaceful and shy, but if it is confident it will be out in front all day. I am actually picking up two more tomorrow.

My livestock list is going to look something like this; trio of both Bartletts & Sunburst anthias, Lineatus wrasse (maybe pair), another fairy or flasher wrasse, and a blonde Naso tang. Possibly adding a Mandrian(depending on 'pod stocking levels) or a goby/ blenny. This is all in a 90 gal (115gal total) system mixed reef.(Primarily LPS &SPS corals).

Just make sure to add the most peaceful fish first, anything that could get beligerant needs to be added last. Some similar species (fairy & flasher wrasse, etc.) should be added at the same time to avoid territory issues. (I thought to add this in case you didn't already know, don't want to sound like a know-it-all.) ;)

I hate keeping single specimens. Its more interesting to see a couple of the same species especially when they pair up. I would go with a pair of long nose or flame Hawks and a breeding harem of cherub angels. Also a small tang and two or three sixline or canary wrasses.

yeah-I love a yellow tang--I also like my sailfin and blue regal (but they may be too big for your tank)

calireefer;158057 wrote: I hate keeping single specimens. Its more interesting to see a couple of the same species especially when they pair up. I would go with a pair of long nose or flame Hawks and a breeding harem of cherub angels. Also a small tang and two or three sixline or canary wrasses.

I didn't realize you could keep multiple flame hawks. That is one of my favorite fish. What are some other species of fish that ppl have had success keeping multiples of? I am also trying to plan out my livestock list and was thinking about a small school of anthias.

Yeah I love my anthias. They are peaceful and adds color to the tank. Then there are also wrasses..

If you ad a hawk you want be able to add any shrimp. My spotted hawk ate a cleaner before it hit the substrate. Took a huge chunk right out of his back. Learned the hard way.

calireefer;158057 wrote: I hate keeping single specimens. Its more interesting to see a couple of the same species especially when they pair up. I would go with a pair of long nose or flame Hawks and a breeding harem of cherub angels. Also a small tang and two or three sixline or canary wrasses.

I'm with you on the pairs... I love having two-by-twos, but my six-line is solitary. I've never read anywhere that you can have more than one in a tank unless it's a very large system. My flamehawk is solitary also; didn't know you could have two.

I lo9ve schools of fish. I would put some anthias and wrasses. Then of course some tangs; a reef tank without tangs just doesn't feel right.

will a tang outgrow a 65g rather quickly?

My tang is very tiny in a 50g, but I still expect that when he moves to the 90g, he won't be able to stay in there for very long.

Is there a particular tang that does not need the miles of swimming room required by a yellow?

I think the yellow is the smallest tang that you can get away with. The others are larger or more aggressive. In a 65g, you can only have one.

Linda, you should be fine in a 90 with the yellow.

I thought about mine this time round...2 maroons, foxface, lavender tang, lyretail anthias, blue yellow belly hippo, wheeler gobo and pistol

except for a small school of bright blue chromis Im done...everyone gets along great...

OK, I like the idea of the athias, but it there a minimum number before they would begin to school. Also, what are some of the smaller variety of athias?

Back