Sump build help.

yea as long as they arent exposed to too much pressure from one side you should be fine. i think your best bet would be to go with glass baffels and just make the filter sock trey out of acrylic since it would be hard to get holes in glass that are the perfect size to fit filter socks.

One question. What is the water depth in the skimmer chamber? Need to pay attention based on skimmer plan. I would also make the return section larger if possible. Less fluctuation. ATO will run less frequent. But just my observations...

Nick

With the baffles there should be no more than a 1-1/2 inch drop so the pressure will be pretty equal on both sides. Should I cancel the Acrylic order? The sheet won't be cut till late tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.

The depth of the skimmer chamber is 19.5". Raising the skimmer 10.5" will put the water line right at 9" on the skimmer body. I've measured it multiple times to be sure.
With the return side being 9.5Lx17Wx15H" (measured at the middle weir) there'll be room for 10 gallons filled to 14". The Osmolator has a 1" cycle which is a little more 2/3rds of a gallon set up this way. I have no idea what my evaporation rate will be. What should I be shooting for with the ATO cycle?

With the filter socks... What about using http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pillow-stuffing-filter-for-those-of-us-who-hate-washing-filter-socks.150453/">something like this</a> for filtering?

I like to diy side of this and just tossing the polyfill sounds good too. I've setup filters like this for bait tanks and they do a pretty good job. I know I'm a noob...

I use these. So easy to clean. Rinse and put back in.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-mesh-filter-sock-with-plastic-ring.html">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-mesh-filter-sock-with-plastic-ring.html</a>

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

anit77;1085270 wrote: With the filter socks... What about using http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pillow-stuffing-filter-for-those-of-us-who-hate-washing-filter-socks.150453/">something like this</a> for filtering?

I like to diy side of this and just tossing the polyfill sounds good too. I've setup filters like this for bait tanks and they do a pretty good job. I know I'm a noob...[/QUOTE]

ive never used polyfill. ive heard it works well and is cheap but i just figure if you plan on this keeping this tank running for years the cost of socks would be cheaper since you can reuse them. and i would think that the filter socks would catch more of the junk than polyfill but having never used it thats just an opinion.

as far as the acrylic goes i think you'll be fine with it. when you install the baffles just make sure to put some silicone on the edge of the acrylic as well as running a bead at the seam on both sides. that will help keep it securely in place. sanding the edge of the acrylic before installing will also give you a better joint thats less likely to fail.

[QUOTE=][B]Jvb89;1085275 wrote:[/B] I use these. So easy to clean. Rinse and put back in.
[IMG]http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-mesh-filter-sock-with-plastic-ring.html">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-mesh-filter-sock-with-plastic-ring.html</a>

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

these are the same ones i use as well. you can definitely rinse them and put them back, i just prefer to bleach them to get rid of every last bit of junk.

If it helps, this is what I am building right now....I think its a pretty solid design, though for your design, you may want to split the middle section in half to get a fuge section in there too. I am planning a completely separate tank (40br) as a fuge.

Torqued;1085466 wrote: If it helps, this is what I am building right now....I think its a pretty solid design, though for your design, you may want to split the middle section in half to get a fuge section in there too. I am planning a completely separate tank (40br) as a fuge.

Calsak is right down the street from my office. So I had them cut up some 3/16" black acrylic for me. The 2 weirs that actually control the height of the water will be laminated, so 3/8" total. I've already bonded them together. The 2 outers of the bubble trap will see no load. I'm going to rough up the edges where they get siliconed in place. I've got all my heights set and will be siliconing them in shortly. The fuge will be 19x17x17 and holds 29 gallons. The return side is 10x17x17 at max 12.75 gallons. I'll probable run it at fluctuating between 9 & 10 gallons.

If you're interested in the acrylic I've got a good sized piece left. Enough to make a bunch of weirs.

Mine is all glass. Being made by the tank manf. It's only costing like $250 so I'm letting them do it all

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

anit77;1085470 wrote: Calsak is right down the street from my office. So I had them cut up some 3/16" black acrylic for me. The 2 weirs that actually control the height of the water will be laminated, so 3/8" total. I've already bonded them together. The 2 outers of the bubble trap will see no load. I'm going to rough up the edges where they get siliconed in place. I've got all my heights set and will be siliconing them in shortly. The fuge will be 19x17x17 and holds 29 gallons. The return side is 10x17x17 at max 12.75 gallons. I'll probable run it at fluctuating between 9 & 10 gallons.

If you're interested in the acrylic I've got a good sized piece left. Enough to make a bunch of weirs.

hey adam how much of that black acrylic do you have left? i was considering making an aio style hospital/qt tank out of a 10 gallon tank and black acrylic would be perfect for that.

I paid $122 with tax for a full sheet, roughly $3.80/sf. I used 10-12 of the 32 sf. The sheet is at my office I'll measure it tomorrow.

Picoreefguy;1085534 wrote: how much would you want for it?

There's more than I thought, 62x48 20.5+SF. Let me know how much of it you want.

Torqued;1085652 wrote: About 67. It's 48x18x18. Pretty much a 40br with an extra ft...

Sounds nice. Can't wait to see a pic of it. At some point I may update. I'd like a 60x18x18.

i know i dont need anywhere near that much. probably only 3-4 sqft. id have to do the math first and see. itll be a while before i can make it down your way anyway so i may have to get it from you at the next meeting. ill take some measurements of a 10 gal and see what it would take for baffels and all and get back to you.

Back