Sump help, beat me now

hatzo1

Market
Reaction score
Ok, so here is my delema. I aquired a 125 gal with equipment and began my adventure back into the hobby. Wanting to do it on a budget I used the filter system it came with,a Fluval FX4. Yes I know a canister :eek: with the plan to add a sump later. I've ran canisters on tanks in the past with sucess but prefer sumps. Well I began doing my research and relized I might be in trouble adding a sump. The stand it sits on has two cabinet areas on each side and shelves in the middle. The worry is the cabinet areas are small. Like 21"w X 16"d X 23"h . So Im at a loss with what to do. Changing the stand is not an option so looking for suggestions not bashing please.

One option would be to locate t he sump in another room or basement. If that’s not possible go without a sump. Maybe you could add a hang on sump to the back or side?

You could add a nice cabinet on the side of the tank to host the sump if another room or basement isn’t available.

You could add a nice cabinet on the side of the tank to host the sump if another room or basement isn’t available.

Cabinet might be possible. No basement or other room . I had thought about a custom sump but again I can’t make shit lol. Would probably be expensive.

Generally acrylic is pretty pricey and costs more for us hobbists. In your situation a cabinet would do the trick.

If you are willing to get really creative, you could have two smaller ones plumbed together with pvc along the back of the stand. Just make sure you don't have too much back syphon from the display tank. CustomAquariums SyphonStopper would prevent that.

If you are willing to get really creative, you could have two smaller ones plumbed together with pvc along the back of the stand. Just make sure you don't have too much back syphon from the display tank. CustomAquariums SyphonStopper would prevent that.

I had thought of that but what size units then? I have been toying withthat idea and it really should the best to achieve max volume. The SyphonStoppers appears to have to be drilled though not sure that would work.

Doing some research and found this nice video. Granted I only have room for 2 10gal units but same principle.

For the cheapest route, yes, two 10 gallon tanks would fit the space. I would use the first for mechanical filtration and a skimmer, and the other for the return pump and a diy rain algae scrubber.

The back is open. I was just thinking of all I can get is 2 10gal in the sides that one single 20gal cube should work. It probably wouldn’t save me in a power outage.
1626406d38da8aafd1fd73c48c7632d3.jpg

Back