sump idea for a 40 breeder

mockery

Market
Reaction score
Ok so i have a 40 breeder that i'm turning into a sump in the sump I have a frag tank, fuge and return. Now i know this is where the skimmer goes but i'm using a D and D terminator 2 skimmer, this skimmer is able to be run out of tank so that is what i'm going to do, unless someone has a good reason not to. Now the tank is 16 high but i'm going to out the baffle at 13 inches to hold draining water. Any and all suggestions taken.
40b-1.jpg
>Here</a> is the photo

Thanks
Colin

Are you going to use the skimmer to draw water from the frag section and pump it into the fuge section or is that what the MJ on the diagram is for?

the mj is for it that is how the skimmer works it wll pull from the fuge then dump back into there

I would switch the Fuge with the frag. Your intake will create lots of bubble and might irritate your frags. Also it would be better to get the export of waste out of the way before water gets to your frags.

ok so if i switch them what could i use to light the frag tank

I have read that the bubbles are actually great for the frags. Are you sure the intake will reach that far down into the tank since you will have a 3 inch gap?

the gap is for over flow their will be a pipe the goes down a little and will be filled with live rock rubble

seems like a good idea but i would keep the frag tank separate something like, display,frag, fuge/sump. my personal favorite way to do it. like stated up a couple post about how it is meant to export wastes etc, so id leave it to do just that and add another tank for frags. also you get more volume that way. whatever you decide to do let me know if you need some help, done a few of these may be able to offer advice and im just around the block anyways. i also have some pipe/fittings, glue/primer around the house depending what sizing you want to use so you can save some cash that way also. well good luck to ya colin, you know how to get hold of me if you need to.

Stromy- yeah that is the way i want to do it but it was hard enough to let my parents put in the sump so that is how i'm going to do it. And i would love to some help when i get to it pluming and everthing.

So what order should i do this?

And what should i make the baffles out of? glass or acrylic?

Mockery;248088 wrote: Stromy- yeah that is the way i want to do it but it was hard enough to let my parents put in the sump so that is how i'm going to do it. And i would love to some help when i get to it pluming and everthing.
Let me know, know how you feel being at the parents house bet they be cool with it once you were done, they always seem to be in my case.

So what order should i do this?
Buy all you think you need and start to plan where you want things, take into account electrical plugs, a/c registers etc. then once you have a good idea start to build. everything changes a little as you go no matter how much you plan. dont rush!!

And what should i make the baffles out of? glass or acrylic?
I used acrylic, easier to work with imo

Back