sump question

roundman

Market
Reaction score
My sump has 2 compartments with 3 baffles. One side is the return to the tank and the other has the skimmer in it with the fill from the overflow on the tank. The question is would it be better for the overflow to enter in its own compartment with teeth on the top to work like an overflow into the skimmer compartment?

Hope this makes sense
thanks

My overflow dumps into the skimmer compartment. My sump has 3 sections with the return in the middle, the skimmer on one end and the 'fuge on the other.

I don't see the advantage of a separate overflow section unless you're planning a place for mechanical/chemical filtration before water reaches the skimmer.

IMO, have your drain go right to your skimmer compartment....why have dirty water going into other parts of your system longer?

OK I was just looking a Melevsreef and most of his sumps have a chamber with LR for the overflow and was wondering if this was something I should add. My fuge is seperate.

I believe he does that to help break up the bubbles so there are less bubbles running thu the sump. It also works as a filtration method. But any sump that incorporates baffels will cut back on bubbles. Its not needed to add that LR, but its not frowned upon either :) What ever works for you go with it. I ran a very simple sump for awhile. Its was a 30g long left side had my return pump, there was one divider, middle was the fuge had 3 baffels then the right side was the drain and skimmer. Best sump I've had.....well till now, but its still set up the same way..minus the fuge cuz I run BB tank now and that wont work so well for me.

Sump now: As you can see the PVC coming from the right is my drain line and it drains right to my skimmer pump.

140finished6.jpg
alt="" />

Sump back in the day:

Picture004.jpg
alt="" />

Back