Sump upgrade?

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
Tyler and I are tossing around the idea of adding a 50 gallon lowboy frag tank and a 65 gallon FOWLR tank to our system (see drawing). We are planning on moving our water station downstairs and running the plumbing up through the floor. We would be moving the sump down there as well and tying all three tanks into the one system. Total rated volume would be 240 gallons, tanks only, not including sump volume and not taking displacement from rocks/substrate, etc into consideratio. My current sump is a Trigger Systems Sapphire CR 44 (which, btw will be available for purchase when we upgrade)

For those of you concerned about my health - yes I am still sick, still on IV nutrition but now down to 18 hours a day which gives me six hours of freedom from being tied down to my rolling suitcase! I am awaiting my appointment at Emory with the guy who is supposed to be the absolute best in this field. Meanwhile the reef brings me joy. It is something to think about that is growing and vibrant and full of life. I thoroughly enjoy it and the ARC community and all the fun possibilities it holds. I either keep living or just lay down and die, which I’ve considered doing but isn’t really me. I’m a fighter. And I greatly appreciate everyone’s thoughts and prayers and concern.

So what size sump should we upgrade to? We have 60” x 36” of space and Tyler will build a shelf over it for the water barrels.
Attatched is pic of current sump info and my drawing of what our vision is.
Thanks for looking!
image.jpg1DB8112F-8673-4AD2-9EBC-E365CC56AAD0.png999FAC5C-424E-44B5-A9F9-0AF1477F8B9B.png53286C61-E013-4CF8-88E2-E864D16544D9.png

You always want your sump to handle volume if a power outage. You also want to go as big as possible for more water volume and stability. If you are moving things to the basement, you can use the tractor supply troughs as a sump and a refugium. If you have the space and things are not tight. The troughs come in different sizes and you can get a lot more water volume. If I had the space, I would have used this method - unless I won the lottery and had the 💵 to get a really big all the bells and whistles sump. Don’t know the volume of your current sump and the amount of displacement from your new setup plans in event of outage.

I don't know what your time frame is but by summer I will have a 150 gallon Rubbermaid trough I'm going to be looking to get rid of.

Once the weather warms up I'm going to use it to make the leftover rock I have into clean live rock for sale. Once the rock is gone I won't have a use for it anymore.

I don't know what your time frame is but by summer I will have a 150 gallon Rubbermaid trough I'm going to be looking to get rid of.

Once the weather warms up I'm going to use it to make the leftover rock I have into clean live rock for sale. Once the rock is gone I won't have a use for it anymore.

I can definitely wait for this. You can text me with price. I already have the 65 tank and stand. It was gifted to us and just needs the coralline cleaned out and back painted. I am in the planning stage, not the execution stage 😁. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a pre planner lol

Back